• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did CPS violate the law by providing my address to an incarcerated felon?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Urbont

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hello, my wife and I are pre-adoptive foster parents working with CPS in Washington State throughout the entire process. The child's birth parents are both incarcerated for identity theft among a plethora of other crimes, with the mother a two time felon for identify theft. Long story short, CPS decided to provide the birth mother with our home address without receiving any consent from us. They [CPS] apologized, and had our address removed from her cell, however we received correspondence (it's how we knew she had it) from her, so there is a probability she had it for a long duration. Our identity since that time has been stolen on two separate occasions and while this may be a coincidence, we are extremely concerned that the birth mother may take actions against us. Bottom line, we are terrified that convicts were provided our home address. Can we take any action against CPS, or is this a lost cause?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hello, my wife and I are pre-adoptive foster parents working with CPS in Washington State throughout the entire process. The child's birth parents are both incarcerated for identity theft among a plethora of other crimes, with the mother a two time felon for identify theft. Long story short, CPS decided to provide the birth mother with our home address without receiving any consent from us. They [CPS] apologized, and had our address removed from her cell, however we received correspondence (it's how we knew she had it) from her, so there is a probability she had it for a long duration. Our identity since that time has been stolen on two separate occasions and while this may be a coincidence, we are extremely concerned that the birth mother may take actions against us. Bottom line, we are terrified that convicts were provided our home address. Can we take any action against CPS, or is this a lost cause?
I would really discuss this with your attorney (the one I presume who is assisting you in this adoption). I think as you are not done with the adoption process it would be wise to act very carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">