• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute regarding property damage caused by city trash service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Talk Walk

The Tucscon, Arizona city trash service picks up trash in the alley behind my house. The alley there has an especially narrow corridor due to the neighbor directly across the alley having a wall extending four feet further than all the other property lines (grandfathered-in). Making things even more challenging is the fact that there is a corner to be turned in this narrow corridor of the alley. The result of this situation is that the huge city trash truck needs to back up midway through the turn in order to round the corner and, in the process, the truck has struck the block wall on my property numerous times. I have never physically witnessed this happening, but there is plenty of residual damage that indicates an exceptionally large (i.e. tall) vehicle is responsible for it and the city is (so far) taking my accusations seriously.

I called the city trash department at one point a couple of years ago and was told by the person who answered that I had to have physically witnessed the damage occurring in order to file a claim for reimbursement from the city. Disappointed and frustrated, I spent $1500 out of pocket on repairs to my block wall, reinforcement columns built on either side of the wall, and bollards placed in front of the wall within the property line for the purpose of preventing future damage.

Well, fast forward about 1.5 years later. The bollards have now been struck so many times that they, too, are needing to be replaced and I am feeling especially perturbed. I called the city trash department again and this time I was told that I do NOT have to have witnessed the damage-in-action in order to file a claim. Grr. The good news is that I will now be able to submit a claim for the replacement of the bollards but I will not be able to submit a claim for the previous repairs because there is a 180-day time limit for claim filing.

When I expressed my grievances regarding their previous incorrect reporting of policy and procedure, I was told that the onus to know my rights and the laws was on me and not on their office to provide accurate information. And, of course.. there is no way to take them to court with a he said/she said argument... and that is all I have to my credit at this point since I did not tape record the phone conversation with the person who gave me incorrect information.

I would love to receive some feedback on this situation. Is it really my responsibility to know what I can and can't file a claim for? And, if it is my responsibility, how else would I find out besides calling up the department I'd want to file the claim with?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect you were NOT told that you could not file a claim. Just that it would be denied if you had no evidence.

Talk Walk

I was, in fact, told that I could not file a claim if I had not personally witnessed the damage being done. That they would not have accepted that.

So, if it is my responsibility to know my rights (which is obviously true on the surface), then is it correct that I would have needed to seek legal advice about whether my claim was legitimate enough to file in the first place.. as opposed to calling the city trash department? Was calling the city trash department not the correct first place to go in researching my rights?

You Are Guilty

I was, in fact, told that I could not file a claim if I had not personally witnessed the damage being done. That they would not have accepted that.

So, if it is my responsibility to know my rights (which is obviously true on the surface), then is it correct that I would have needed to seek legal advice about whether my claim was legitimate enough to file in the first place.. as opposed to calling the city trash department? Was calling the city trash department not the correct first place to go in researching my rights?
I think you answered your own question. You called the "city trash department" and are surprised that their legal advice wasn't the greatest?

Does the city have a Law Department?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">