• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DMV Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmon69

Minnesota

My driver’s license recently expired, and when I went to renew it they refused to because I stuck my tongue out while they took my picture. I was told that it wasn’t allowed. When I showed that my tongue was sticking out on my expired license, and explained that my license before the expired one also had my tongue exposed, I was told that they had a new regulation that was recently passed that said that I couldn’t do it because it was considered obscene.
Now I know that I should just refrain from sticking my tongue out and get my license, but that’s not the point! I checked my states laws and couldn’t find any such law or regulation. What can I do?

You Are Guilty

Minnesota

My driver’s license recently expired, and when I went to renew it they refused to because I stuck my tongue out while they took my picture. I was told that it wasn’t allowed. When I showed that my tongue was sticking out on my expired license, and explained that my license before the expired one also had my tongue exposed, I was told that they had a new regulation that was recently passed that said that I couldn’t do it because it was considered obscene.
Now I know that I should just refrain from sticking my tongue out and get my license, but that’s not the point! I checked my states laws and couldn’t find any such law or regulation. What can I do?
What are you, four? You can keep your tongue in your mouth, or you can enjoy the fine Minnesota bus system.

Isis1

Minnesota

go back to the DMV and take the picture without making faces.

CSO286

Minnesota

So?

There are guidelines that the employees must follow when taking ID photos. They include things like making sure the subject's hair is out of his/her face, ensuring that the face is clearly visible and that the subject is facing the camera head-on (no profile shots or half-turned faces). Not to mention, the whole "no obscene facial expressions"--and obscene??-- that's at the discretion of said employee.

For that reason, the employee may refuse to take a picture of you sticking your tongue out.

It doesn't have to be printed in state law. A regulation may simply be departmental regs/policies. And they CAN require that you follow them.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Think about this logically. You get pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The officer is in a good mood and was considering letting you off with a warning. Then you give him your license and he sees your obnoxious picture. He decides to cite you for every little violation he can find for you. Why would you want to set yourself up for a day like that?

CSO286

Think about this logically. You get pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The officer is in a good mood and was considering letting you off with a warning. Then you give him your license and he sees your obnoxious picture. He decides to cite you for every little violation he can find for you. Why would you want to set yourself up for a day like that?
Agree (1)

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">