• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DMV Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Livinginsc

In SC can the DMV legally refuse a driving exam because the instructor thinks your car is "too dirty"? The last examiner did not think it was dirty at all and it was LESS dirty this time (but the examinee failed the test for insufficient skills).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In SC can the DMV legally refuse a driving exam because the instructor thinks your car is "too dirty"? The last examiner did not think it was dirty at all and it was LESS dirty this time (but the examinee failed the test for insufficient skills).
An examiner can refuse to test the applicant if he feels that the conditions of the car would make testing unsafe. When one has crap flying all over their car, that's unsafe. When one cannot see out the windows, that's unsafe.

Livinginsc

There was nothing "flying around". The car seat has a stain and the floor mat has dried mud. There is a bit of dust on the dash....

Zigner

There was nothing "flying around". The car seat has a stain and the floor mat has dried mud. There is a bit of dust on the dash....
I suspect that your view of the vehicle is much different from the examiner's.
Ask for a different examiner.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's a moot point isn't it? The driver took his or her test and failed. Stop asking silly questions.

Zigner

It's a moot point isn't it? The driver took his or her test and failed. Stop asking silly questions.
I think it was a poorly structured post. I think the OP was trying to say that the person in question failed the first time around.

Livinginsc

The examinee failed on a previous try. The DMV office manager looked at the car and found nothing amiss (3 hours after the refusal - when no other testing slots were available for the day - convenient how she was unavailable until it was too late to test). And NO, I did not change anything before she looked. As for asking for another examiner...there is only ONE scheduled to work in that office on any given day. I filed a complaint but was told it would "be looked into". Poor grammar at the DMV notwithstanding, I expect about as much help from them as I got in this forum.... nada, nothing, zilch

Zigner

The examinee failed on a previous try. The DMV office manager looked at the car and found nothing amiss (3 hours after the refusal - when no other testing slots were available for the day - convenient how she was unavailable until it was too late to test). And NO, I did not change anything before she looked. As for asking for another examiner...there is only ONE scheduled to work in that office on any given day. I filed a complaint but was told it would "be looked into". Poor grammar at the DMV notwithstanding, I expect about as much help from them as I got in this forum.... nada, nothing, zilch
Wait, did you seriously expect us to run on down to the DMV and scold the examiner for refusing to test you? Maybe you thought Doc Brown could take us all back in time and set the examiner straight. If not, then what other "help" did you expect to have?

Livinginsc

I expected courteous, legitimate answers. Not a bunch of couch surfing old farts just trying to make themselves feel they have a reason to exist by putting others down when those people had legitimate questions. Glad you find that useful or helpful since it must be a pitiful and petty existence for you. Shame on me for believing this was a help forum...

Zigner

I expected courteous, legitimate answers. Not a bunch of couch surfing old farts just trying to make themselves feel they have a reason to exist by putting others down when those people had legitimate questions. Glad you find that useful or helpful since it must be a pitiful and petty existence for you. Shame on me for believing this was a help forum...
I guess my Doc Brown reference does kind of date me, huh? :rolleyes:

Silverplum

Do you want to pay the increased taxes to hire 2 or 3 more full-time examiners for each DMV office?

Yours is just not a legal question. It's a state funding issue and a basic car maintenance issue.

quincy

Was your attitude at the DMV better than it is on this forum?

Shame on you for believing you could ask for help and be incredibly rude to those willing to provide it.

Even IF the examiner was a bit picky about the condition of your car - and, depending on the cause of the stain (animal urine?) he might not have been - he is the one who has to sit in your car for an extended period and give you your driving test. I suggest you clean your car, practice your driving skills, retake the examination, and learn some manners.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Wait, did you seriously expect us to run on down to the DMV and scold the examiner for refusing to test you? Maybe you thought Doc Brown could take us all back in time and set the examiner straight. If not, then what other "help" did you expect to have?
While you're time-traveling, go back a little more and bring back the pride that would have prevented someone from showing up for the exam in a bio-hazard.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">