• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case against the USPS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oliver K

Las Vegas, NV (only U.S. law)?

I found this forum, trying to see if anyone ever had a case similar to mine. Found a couple of threads discussing possible legal action against USPS for lost items. My issues all relate to the PO Box I rent from my local post office. I'm sorry if my post is wordy, it's a copy paste of the chronology I've been keeping.

I'll try to summarize quickly My post office only bills for PO boxes in 6 month, or 1 year terms. They don't send me any invoices, or payment requests when my box is due. So upon the first renewal, they simply locked me out of my box. I paid, got my box reinstated, and tried to order 2 extra keys for my employees. Every time I tried to get an ETA on those extra keys. They tell me my box is unpaid, and demand I show them my proof of payment again. I've filed 2 complaints against them, and had one reopened, and escalated to consumer affairs. After each complaint is filed, within 3 days someone from my local post office would assure me I just needed to be patient, they would fix the issues with my keys. The last time, I heard that, I waited 2 weeks, which was when they told me the keys would be ready. But instead, they locked me out of my box again, claiming non-payment. But this time, they claim my receipt was not valid, because it wasn't in their system. I brought my credit card statement, after talking to my bank confirming the charge went through. The post office refuses to accept any form of proof of payment I have. They also tell me, my PO Box has already been given to someone else.

The cost for 1 year of PO box prepayment was $160. The cost to have myself, or one of my employees call up every vendor to change our mailing address, at the very minimum would be probably a week's pay. Not to mention, we currently have no PO Box to forward any mail to, we could end up behind on payments, and their respective late fees. Yes, most of these late fees could probably be waived with a quick phone call. But that could easily be another few days worth of pay.

Is there any form of legal action I can take at all? I'm not looking for damages. I just want what I paid for. A year of PO Box service, with 2 extra keys. But I'm at the point where I don't think I can get that without a credible threat against this post office.

3/31/16 - When renewal time came up, I didn't received any invoice or request for payment. Just found out my box was locked out when I went to check for mail. I paid and got my box reinstated. I was told my new key wouldn't work until after the weekend.

4/4/16 - I showed up on Monday, after the weekend, like I was told, and my key still didn't work. Forcing me to wait 30 minutes before someone could get my mail for me.

4/5/16 - I came back, my key worked. But when I tried to order extra keys for my employees, I was told my account was locked due to non-payment! While the guy who took my payment was right next to me! He confirmed I've paid, and could vouch for me, but still forced me to go bring back proof of payment before they could help me at all! I actually went to get proof of payment, and came back with it. They claimed the office they needed to call to fix the issue was off for the day, and wasn't answering anymore calls for the day after I wasted another 30 minutes.

4/6/16 -I went back, and asked to speak to a supervisor. He seemed very sympathetic to me, but ultimately apologized for not having any answers for me. Gave me 2 phone numbers to call, and ask for someone named "Donita".

4/15/16 - I've called both phone numbers before coming in person every single weekday since. The numbers never get picked up, and every single time I'm told "Donita is in a meeting".

4/19/16 - Called USPS main office consumer affairs (702-361-9230), filed a complaint on this office.

4/22/16 - Donita calls me, apologizes for issues. Assures me they'll be taken care of, promises I won't be charged for the keys. Refused to give me a time frame.

5/14/16 - I tried to get an update on the keys for my PO Box, in person. Teller TC, tells me my PO Box is unpaid since October 2015. Tells me to go get my proof of payment AGAIN. Called USPS consumer affairs again, and had my case re-opened. Was told someone would contact me by 5/18/16.

5/18/16 - USPS consumer affairs dept connected me directly to this office. Tells me my keys will be ready 6/1/16, and that I should come in and pick them up then. Another 2 weeks, feels like they told me anything to get me off their case.

6/1/16 - I came in to get my keys. Found out my current keys don't work on the box anymore, they've locked me out for non-payment again.

6/3/16 - I came back with my receipt. They tell me I never paid them, and that my receipt isn't in their records system. They also gave my box to someone else. I left, and came back with my credit card statement, and talked to my bank. The payment definitely went through according to my bank. But they're insisting I never paid them. I get about 200 bills a month to this PO Box, which now belongs to someone else. It'll take me literally a week on the phone to change my mailing address with all my vendors. I don't even have a PO Box right now, despite prepaying for a year.

Last edited:

quincy

Las Vegas, NV (only U.S. law)?

... My post office only bills for PO boxes in 6 month, or 1 year terms. They don't send me any invoices, or payment requests when my box is due. So upon the first renewal, they simply locked me out of my box. I paid, got my box reinstated, and tried to order 2 extra keys for my employees. Every time I tried to get an ETA on those extra keys. They tell me my box is unpaid, and demand I show them my proof of payment again. I've filed 2 complaints against them, and had one reopened, and escalated to consumer affairs. After each complaint is filed, within 3 days someone from my local post office would assure me I just needed to be patient, they would fix the issues with my keys. The last time, I heard that, I waited 2 weeks, which was when they told me the keys would be ready. But instead, they locked me out of my box again, claiming non-payment. But this time, they claim my receipt was not valid, because it wasn't in their system. I brought my credit card statement, after talking to my bank confirming the charge went through. The post office refuses to accept any form of proof of payment I have. They also tell me, my PO Box has already been given to someone else.

The cost for 1 year of PO box prepayment was $160. The cost to have myself, or one of my employees call up every vendor to change our mailing address, at the very minimum would be probably a week's pay. Not to mention, we currently have no PO Box to forward any mail to, we could end up behind on payments, and their respective late fees. Yes, most of these late fees could probably be waived with a quick phone call. But that could easily be another few days worth of pay.

Is there any form of legal action I can take at all? I'm not looking for damages. I just want what I paid for. A year of PO Box service, with 2 extra keys. But I'm at the point where I don't think I can get that without a credible threat against this post office.

3/31/16 - When renewal time came up, I didn't received any invoice or request for payment. Just found out my box was locked out when I went to check for mail. I paid and got my box reinstated. I was told my new key wouldn't work until after the weekend.

4/4/16 - I showed up on Monday, after the weekend, like I was told, and my key still didn't work. Forcing me to wait 30 minutes before someone could get my mail for me.

4/5/16 - I came back, my key worked. But when I tried to order extra keys for my employees, I was told my account was locked due to non-payment! While the guy who took my payment was right next to me! He confirmed I've paid, and could vouch for me, but still forced me to go bring back proof of payment before they could help me at all! I actually went to get proof of payment, and came back with it. They claimed the office they needed to call to fix the issue was off for the day, and wasn't answering anymore calls for the day after I wasted another 30 minutes.

4/6/16 -I went back, and asked to speak to a supervisor. He seemed very sympathetic to me, but ultimately apologized for not having any answers for me. Gave me 2 phone numbers to call, and ask for someone named "Donita".

4/15/16 - I've called both phone numbers before coming in person every single weekday since. The numbers never get picked up, and every single time I'm told "Donita is in a meeting".

4/19/16 - Called USPS main office consumer affairs (702-361-9230), filed a complaint on this office.

4/22/16 - Donita calls me, apologizes for issues. Assures me they'll be taken care of, promises I won't be charged for the keys. Refused to give me a time frame.

5/14/16 - I tried to get an update on the keys for my PO Box, in person. Teller TC, tells me my PO Box is unpaid since October 2015. Tells me to go get my proof of payment AGAIN. Called USPS consumer affairs again, and had my case re-opened. Was told someone would contact me by 5/18/16.

5/18/16 - USPS consumer affairs dept connected me directly to this office. Tells me my keys will be ready 6/1/16, and that I should come in and pick them up then. Another 2 weeks, feels like they told me anything to get me off their case.

6/1/16 - I came in to get my keys. Found out my current keys don't work on the box anymore, they've locked me out for non-payment again.

6/3/16 - I came back with my receipt. They tell me I never paid them, and that my receipt isn't in their records system. They also gave my box to someone else. I left, and came back with my credit card statement, and talked to my bank. The payment definitely went through according to my bank. But they're insisting I never paid them. I get about 200 bills a month to this PO Box, which now belongs to someone else. It'll take me literally a week on the phone to change my mailing address with all my vendors. I don't even have a PO Box right now, despite prepaying for a year.
You do not have any defamation claim apparent from what you have posted.

(edit: This thread was originally posted in the Defamation section of the forum, so my response is not as odd as it might otherwise seem :))

Last edited:

Oliver K

You do not have any defamation claim apparent from what you have posted.
I figured as much. I posted in this section because I found another thread in this section regarding issues with the post office.

I'm hoping to get responses of what other's more knowledgeable than me would do in my circumstances.

If there's a better section to post for such response, please let me know, so I can ask an admin to move my thread.

quincy

I figured as much. I posted in this section because I found another thread in this section regarding issues with the post office.

I'm hoping to get responses of what other's more knowledgeable than me would do in my circumstances.

If there's a better section to post for such response, please let me know, so I can ask an admin to move my thread.
The defamation section of the forum seemed just out of place enough for your thread that it was decided it best to have your thread moved here. You are likely to get more responses in this section of the forum. :)

The USPS is granted an immunity, or protection, from most legal actions. Although it is possible to sue the USPS for a negligent or intentional tort, I do not see anything to support a suit in your described situation. Here is a link to the definition of tort: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/tort

What I would probably do in your situation is cancel the USPS post office box after setting up a new post office box elsewhere (perhaps with the UPS). The time it will take to notify all of your vendors (you estimated one week of phone calls) appears to be less time than it will take you to resolve all of the issues you are having with the USPS.

After you have set up a new post office box, you can have the USPS forward any mail sent to the old box number to your new post office box. You can then concentrate on getting a refund from the USPS for the money spent on the unworkable old post office box.

Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The USPS is certainly not known for their competence or customer service. I have never had a PO box - do you sign some type of agreement when you get a box outlining the terms and conditions?

As suggested, I would stay away from them and go to a UPS store or similar, and get a box there.

Oliver K

The USPS is certainly not known for their competence or customer service. I have never had a PO box - do you sign some type of agreement when you get a box outlining the terms and conditions?

As suggested, I would stay away from them and go to a UPS store or similar, and get a box there.
There's no contract to sign, you just pay for it and get a receipt, like if you were buying stamps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">