• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does she have to pay back financial aid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

savetheday250

We are located in Arizona.

I want to apologize. I know this question is a real stretch; however, I don't know who else to ask.

My mother is currently in her second semester for nursing school. When she signed up, the school told her they offer an additional 30 minute class that starts immediately after the main class. She could add that class to her schedule and it would bump up her credit hours and give her extra money for financial aid. Naturally, she signed up.

She has been in school over a month and now, all of a sudden, the school is calling her and saying she is not credible for that extra class. They're claiming she has to pay them $750. She has been in school for over a month and doesn't have that money anymore. It was their mistake, in the first place. Legally, does she have to pay that back?

quincy

We are located in Arizona.

... the school is calling her and saying she is not credible for that extra class. They're claiming she has to pay them $750. She has been in school for over a month and doesn't have that money anymore. It was their mistake, in the first place. Legally, does she have to pay that back?
I assume you mean "eligible" rather than "credible." Did you mother know what the eligibility requirements were for the extra class before she signed up for them?

From where is/was the financial aid coming?

savetheday250

My apologizes.

The financial aid is coming from the government. What happened is, shortly before classes started, when she went down to the school to ensure everything was settled and she was ready to get started, the school suggested she take this extra class to bump up her credit hours so she would get the extra money from financial aid. It basically turned her credit hours from 3/4 time to full time. Thus, she got more money. They originally told her she was credible.

Now, colleges give you up to two weeks to drop out without having to pay in case problems occur; however, they didn't inform her that she was ineligible until well over a month had passed. So, now, she has been in the class too long to drop out - she has to pay for it no matter what. But, the school was who originally told her she was eligible.

I don't even know what it is that makes it incredible to be paid for. I don't think she knows, either. I don't think the school has bothered to inform her. They're supposed to call her with more details in the next week.

quincy

My apologizes.

The financial aid is coming from the government. What happened is, shortly before classes started, when she went down to the school to ensure everything was settled and she was ready to get started, the school suggested she take this extra class to bump up her credit hours so she would get the extra money from financial aid. It basically turned her credit hours from 3/4 time to full time. Thus, she got more money. They originally told her she was credible.

Now, colleges give you up to two weeks to drop out without having to pay in case problems occur; however, they didn't inform her that she was ineligible until well over a month had passed. So, now, she has been in the class too long to drop out - she has to pay for it no matter what. But, the school was who originally told her she was eligible.

I don't even know what it is that makes it incredible to be paid for. I don't think she knows, either. I don't think the school has bothered to inform her. They're supposed to call her with more details in the next week.
If I am understanding you correctly, your mother is eligible to take the extra class but she has just learned she is not eligible for the promised financial aid to cover the cost of this extra class. Is this right?

It would probably be smart for your mother to wait to hear what the school has to say when they call her in the next week with details. They might have discovered the error late and are now trying to figure out how best to remedy it.

Has the school given your mother any reason why the financial aid would not cover the additional credits or why she was not eligible for this aid?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">