• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog tied to rope 24/7?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smutlydog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)TX

I call animal control to complain about the neighbor's dog who is tied to an 8 ft rope 24/7. They tell me it's perfectly legal to do that so long as there is food,water and shelter. So then I google it and find House Bill 1411. Here is what I find relevant to this matter.
(3) a dog restrained for a reasonable period, not to
exceed three hours in a 24-hour period, and no longer than is
necessary for the owner to complete a temporary task that requires
the dog to be restrained;

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01411F.htm

I have called 2 time and even gone in person and even left a copy of this House Bill 1411. The supervisor is never there. He will not return my calls. I need clarification on this law. Am I reading this law correctly? Can a city ignore a state law? I want to ask the neighbor to give me the dog or I am calling animal control.

thanks

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)TX

I call animal control to complain about the neighbor's dog who is tied to an 8 ft rope 24/7. They tell me it's perfectly legal to do that so long as there is food,water and shelter. So then I google it and find House Bill 1411. Here is what I find relevant to this matter.
(3) a dog restrained for a reasonable period, not to
exceed three hours in a 24-hour period, and no longer than is
necessary for the owner to complete a temporary task that requires
the dog to be restrained;

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01411F.htm

I have called 2 time and even gone in person and even left a copy of this House Bill 1411. The supervisor is never there. He will not return my calls. I need clarification on this law. Am I reading this law correctly? Can a city ignore a state law? I want to ask the neighbor to give me the dog or I am calling animal control.

thanks
nobody is going to give you this dog. how about you mind your business. the dog has food and water and shelter per the authorities. case closed.

Mass_Shyster

I have called 2 time and even gone in person and even left a copy of this House Bill 1411.
A bill is not a law, it's a proposed law. It doesn't become a law until the house and senate vote on it and it gets signed into law by the governor.

See www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A bill is not a law, it's a proposed law. It doesn't become a law until the house and senate vote on it and it gets signed into law by the governor.

See www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
I don't even have to watch that to know what it MUST be ;)

smutlydog

That's what I wrote :), till I looked up that bill: it appears to have gone into effect 9/1/07.

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/lawmap/tx.html

I certify that H.B. No. 1411 was passed by the House on May 3, 2007, by the following vote:Â Â Yeas 139, Nays 0, 2 present, not voting.

Chief Clerk of the House  Â

I certify that H.B. No. 1411 was passed by the Senate on May 23, 2007, by the following vote:Â Â Yeas 31, Nays 0

So what can I do about a city that won't enforce or at the very least is ignorant of the law?

Zigner

Because the section of the law you posted doesn't apply to your situation...

This is what applies:

(b) In this section, a restraint unreasonably limits a dog's movement if the restraint:

(1) uses a collar that is pinch-type, prong-type, or choke-type or that is not properly fitted to the dog;

(2) is a length shorter than the greater of:

(A) five times the length of the dog, as measured from the tip of the dog's nose to the base of the dog's tail; or

(B) 10 feet;

So, I guess the next question is how long is the dog, from nose to the base of the tail?

RRevak

Does the dog indeed have sufficient food, water and shelter? Please tell me you aren't trespassing on this persons property in order to measure the length of the rope the dog is on. Even to report legit animal cruelty cases the law frowns on trespassing. And unless you yourself are home 24/7 how do you know that the dog is in fact tied for that length of time? Does the dog look healthy?

smutlydog

Because the section of the law you posted doesn't apply to your situation...

This is what applies:

(b) In this section, a restraint unreasonably limits a dog's movement if the restraint:

(1) uses a collar that is pinch-type, prong-type, or choke-type or that is not properly fitted to the dog;

(2) is a length shorter than the greater of:

(A) five times the length of the dog, as measured from the tip of the dog's nose to the base of the dog's tail; or

(B) 10 feet;

So, I guess the next question is how long is the dog, from nose to the base of the tail?
Almost 2 ft

Zigner

Well, it seems close...I guess your option is to contact Animal Control. Oh, wait - you did that already.

smutlydog

Does the dog indeed have sufficient food, water and shelter? Please tell me you aren't trespassing on this persons property in order to measure the length of the rope the dog is on. Even to report legit animal cruelty cases the law frowns on trespassing. And unless you yourself are home 24/7 how do you know that the dog is in fact tied for that length of time? Does the dog look healthy?
The wood fence is falling apart between our houses and I have never seen it off the rope. I check about 3 times a day.

commentator

A beagle sized dog (2') on an 8' rope is pretty unrestrained, it appears to me.

But seriously, if you have this kind of time to spend on the dog, checking on it several times a day and the neighbor doesn't, and you'd really like to have the animal, instead of threatening him (Give me the dog or I'm calling the law on you!") why don't you offer to buy the dog from your neighbor? If the dog was taken to a shelter there would be a minimal fee for you to adopt the animal, why not offer that amount of money to the neighbor who doesn't seem to have a lot of time or interest for the dog?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">