• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driver license suspension/unpaid fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan6924

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? maryland

Need some opinion/discussion about returning a suspended license. The law/statutes say you must return any suspended license. The penalty for not doing so is 60 days/$500 potentially. The MVA shall require the return of any suspended license. The MVA's policy is:

As a courtesy, the MVA does not request the individual's license in these cases ( non payment of fines ) because once the fine is paid the suspension is lifted and the license is valid. Does that policy sound right ? or is it contrary to the law? Thousands of people are taking chances driving until they can or will pay a fine and when they get caught they get charged with driving on a suspended license!

Would appreciate any feedback.

dan6924

the issue

the issue is whether the MVA is violating the law by letting people keep a suspended license. Do you agree or not? They don't need to physically get it back to make it invalid.

dan6924

return of suspended license.

Md. 16-301 A person may not possess any suspended license.
16-210 Surrender required. On suspending a driver's license the Administration (MVA) shall require that the license be surrendered.
( transportation statutes) On the Notice of Suspension it states " you must return your license to this administration " If someone does return a license it is destroyed and a new one required when the suspension is lifted ( fine is paid )I would think the MVA would cancel a license if it was not returned but they extend the " courtesy " I mentioned in my original post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">