• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding Lottery Ticket in Trash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CA but found ticket in PA while visiting family In PA for the holidays. I don't know where to put this post but since it is a lottery, I felt this would be the best section.

I recently visited PA and stopped at a lottery store. There was a ton of tickets like 100 of them in the waste basket so I asked the clerk for a extra bag and loaded the bag up.

When I went back to my Mom's house, I went through them and found a few that were unclaimed winners. A few free tickets, one for $40 and even one that wasnt' scratched for $100

I claimed them and got the money now if I were to do this professionally and found like a $1 million dollar ticket am I the new found legal owner as long as the back is not signed. I argued for about 4 hours with my step dad he said it was not mine but from my research the ticket belongs to the "bearer".

Any thoughts? Should I do something with the $140 that I found

Last edited:

sandyclaus

CA but found ticket in PA while visiting family In PA for the holidays. I don't know where to put this post but since it is a lottery, I felt this would be the best section.

I recently visited PA and stopped at a lottery store. There was a ton of tickets like 100 of them in the waste basket so I asked the clerk for a extra bag and loaded the bag up.

When I went back to my Mom's house, I went through them and found a few that were unclaimed winners. A few free tickets, one for $40 and even one that wasnt' scratched for $100

I claimed them and got the money now if I were to do this professionally and found like a $1 million dollar ticket am I the new found legal owner as long as the back is not signed. I argued for about 4 hours with my step dad he said it was not mine but from my research the ticket belongs to the "bearer".

This truly does sound like a "finder's keepers" situation. Especially because the tickets were in the trash bin.

If you want to do something truly worthy with the money, then donate it to the local Salvation Army. Or pay someone else's utility bill for them. Pay it forward.

THANKS sandy, I did make a small donation today for a music program for old high school. But I think Im gonna use the rest of the money for my next college book. Thanks!

Mass_Shyster

The owner of the store could claim ownership of the ticket that was found inside the store. The purchaser clearly abandoned the ticket when it was thrown in the trash, but the store owner has not yet abandoned it until he or she brings the trash to the curb.

If it's a $1 million dollar ticket, you can expect a lawsuit from the store owner, the store clerk, and every person who threw a ticket in the trash, or claims to have thrown a ticket in the trash. I feel the only one with a valid claim would be the store owner, but that won't stop the vultures.

I suggest you not tell anyone that the winning ticket came from the trash.

Thank u for the tip now this particular store had an inside bin as well as outside? Would the landlord of the property and not the store owner have claim to ticket outside. Regardless I wouldn't say anything when u consider the vultures thanks again

Mass_Shyster

Thank u for the tip now this particular store had an inside bin as well as outside? Would the landlord of the property and not the store owner have claim to ticket outside.
That would depend on exactly what the store owner was leasing from the landlord. If it's outside in a trash bin, that would give more weight to the argument that the ticket was abandoned.

This is sounding suspiciously similar to my property final exam. You aren't the store owner's sister's boyfriend, whom the store owner told to stay out of the store, are you?

That would depend on exactly what the store owner was leasing from the landlord. If it's outside in a trash bin, that would give more weight to the argument that the ticket was abandoned.

This is sounding suspiciously similar to my property final exam. You aren't the store owner's sister's boyfriend, whom the store owner told to stay out of the store, are you?
Lol no according to the gang I am a pot smoking druggie who cannot comprehend a thing. This was done while I was in pa but I am going to find some stores in ca. Are u connected to those states if not then have no fear lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">