• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food stamp disqualification due to hospitalization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sylar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA, Blair Co

I am writing this on behalf of my sister, who can not walk or use her hands.

I've tried diligently to get some answers on my own, but there doesn't seem to be any definitive resource addressing these concerns.

She is currently in rehab due to acute myelitis which is rendering her limbs unusable. Today she had a phone meeting with the county welfare office. She was told that her food stamps are terminated because she is unable to take care of her daughter in her current condition. Her daughter, my niece, is being taken care of by whoever can manage it for that day. The thing that is of concern is that there are county programs to assist in managing care for your children, especially if you are unable to do it yourself. I can't imagine the people receiving these benefits are ineligible for the SNAP program. If anything, what specifically is disqualifying her?

Thanks

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA, Blair Co

I am writing this on behalf of my sister, who can not walk or use her hands.

I've tried diligently to get some answers on my own, but there doesn't seem to be any definitive resource addressing these concerns.

She is currently in rehab due to acute myelitis which is rendering her limbs unusable. Today she had a phone meeting with the county welfare office. She was told that her food stamps are terminated because she is unable to take care of her daughter in her current condition. Her daughter, my niece, is being taken care of by whoever can manage it for that day. The thing that is of concern is that there are county programs to assist in managing care for your children, especially if you are unable to do it yourself. I can't imagine the people receiving these benefits are ineligible for the SNAP program. If anything, what specifically is disqualifying her?

Thanks

At this time, the person who should apply for benefits is the person who will be caring for your loved one's daughter.

Sylar

That would be a community of about 10 people. Does this in itself (no single care taker) cause the problem?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That would be a community of about 10 people. Does this in itself (no single care taker) cause the problem?
You should probably make some calls to ask how they would like this handled. I suspect that one person will need to become the primary caretaker

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes. Because food stamps can only go to the individual who has CUSTODY of the child. Which would be your sister who is hospitalized. Who is making legal decisions for this child while your sister is incapaciated? If CSB finds out, they may step in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">