• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food Stamp Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smfrank

I live in Texas. 2 1/2 years ago we were evacuated due to Hurricane Ike. My family evacuated to Austin. During that time of course you are under so much stress. Not knowing if we will hae a home to go back to is a very uneasy feeling. On top of having to pay for somewhere to stay, gas, food etc.

We were told to go get food stamps because if your area is declared a disaster area then you are automatically approved for food stamps. At the office the caseworkers seemed very confused. My case worker told me to not worry about really filling much out because it didn't matter. I had never done this before so it was all new to me. I was approved for 6 months of food stamps. I left that office that day and didn't think twice about anything.

In July, Texas was fined $4 million dollars by the federal government for food stamp errors. They said alot of the errors were due to the overflow of applicants from evacuees.

Last week, 2 investigators from the Dept of Human Services show up at my house. They tell me that charges are being filed on me for fraud. Apparently, because I didn't put income for the 3 months prior to the storm, I commited fraud. Really?! My husband and I are in our 50's, no criminal record and would never do anything like that.

I've tried calling Dept of Human Serv and offer to just pay the $1900 that they say I owe them. We can't afford an attorney. I called a local legal aid office and they aren't accepting applications for a couple of months. I don't want to go to jail. I am taking care of my 85 yr old dad that ahlzheimers. He needs me at home.

I just feel like they are trying to make up for the money they were fined and trying to cover up their mistakes. What should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">