• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hanging stuff on mail boxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMom4xGirls

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Is it illegal to hang stuff on the outside of a mailbox, like on the flag or pull tab?,
example: water test tubes, avon brochures, mary kay brochures, or anything else
If it is or is not where can I find the written information about it?

moburkes

Wow. Its interesting that I found the answer to your question on the USPS website. What a concept!:rolleyes:

Can a a flyer/envelope be put it in someone else's mailbox without being mailed? Can I affix a flyer or poster to a USPS® collection box?

Can a a flyer/envelope be put it in someone else's mailbox without being mailed? What if a stamp was placed on it?

Postage must go through the Postal Service™ and be delivered for it to be valid postage and therefore acceptable in the mail receptacle. A flyer cannot be placed in a mailbox after putting a stamp on it unless the item was actually mailed.

"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

The key to this statement is in the term "postage" which is defined as: payment for a delivery service that is affixed or imprinted to a mailpiece, usually in the form of a postage stamp, permit imprint, or meter impression.

harbor lady

re: hanging stuff on mail boxes

you know, moburkes, i couldnt help but chuckle to myself imagining a 5 page legalese document the postal carrier could sign giving him expressed permission to deliver mail to my box but having my box separate and apart from federal jurisdiction, since possession of my own mailbox is 9/10ths of the law.

or perhaps i could have a giant obnoxious mailbox right next to it stating any gov't representative touching of this box is trespassing, it has formally seceded from the union. :p LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">