• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA and release of records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

A friend ask me this question and i have no clue. A friend finished optometry school about a year ago and recently got in to his own practice. He got standard release of record form that he has all of his patient sign so if he needs records he can get them without a problem. However a hospital in the area requires that release specifically mentions them and will not accept generic release form. Are they just going up and above the law or is the law really requires this and everyone basically ignoring that requirement?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The hospital is within their rights to demand that they be named specifically. After all, if the patient sues at some point in future, it will be the hospital whose figurative head is on the block, not your friend's.

randomguy

The hospital is within their rights to demand that they be named specifically. After all, if the patient sues at some point in future, it will be the hospital whose figurative head is on the block, not your friend's.
Understandable and i told my friend they probably can do it. His argument was what happens if every single doctor office/hospital did same thing. Would everyone be required to get HIPPA release for every single doctor? To whim this sounds totally unreasonable and I totally agree with him.

Proserpina

Understandable and i told my friend they probably can do it. His argument was what happens if every single doctor office/hospital did same thing. Would everyone be required to get HIPPA release for every single doctor? To whim this sounds totally unreasonable and I totally agree with him.

That's exactly what I've had to do in the past....

It's really not that big of an issue. Honestly. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As long as I've had to fill out release of information forms, every entity I've dealt with has required that they be specifically named, or they won't release the information. I know that my experiences are a tiny, tiny portion of this, but I thought that just about EVERY entity would/should require it.

ecmst12

Why would an optometrist need to get records from every doctor each patient has ever seen? It would make more sense to have a form filled out in the event he actually needs records, for the doctor he is requesting them from.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What is unreasonable about an entity protecting itself from future lawsuits?

What I think is unreasonable is expecting every doctor/hospital etc. to put themselves in potential legal jeopardy because it would be more convenient for your friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">