• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get a Publc and City 4yr College to comply with the Disabilities Act?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NY
Ok, I’ll spill it. I’m talking about Hunter College in NYC. It’s a 4 year what they call a “vertical” school because of its design and has about 28,000 students. It probably getting money, from the city, state, and federal governments. It does have a small amount of elevators, which take a good 20minutes to go 5 floors and escalators that can go as high as 3rd or 5th floors when working. I have seen several people on crutches do what I could never do, balance a backpack a textbook and walk on crutches. I have never seen anyone in a wheelchair there, but I have seen 3 separate and alone, completely blind students taking the stairs which are jam packed. I mean it has to be a fire hazard in the stairwells. I started school there last winter and I joined their disability program for other reasons. Back then I could walk fine. Anyways, I’ve heard that they have been getting away with this for many years. What can I do to help in general. I will heal in time, others won’t.

SHAME ON THEM!!!

You Are Guilty

NY
Ok, I’ll spill it. I’m talking about Hunter College in NYC. It’s a 4 year what they call a “vertical” school because of its design and has about 28,000 students. It probably getting money, from the city, state, and federal governments. It does have a small amount of elevators, which take a good 20minutes to go 5 floors and escalators that can go as high as 3rd or 5th floors when working. I have seen several people on crutches do what I could never do, balance a backpack a textbook and walk on crutches. I have never seen anyone in a wheelchair there, but I have seen 3 separate and alone, completely blind students taking the stairs which are jam packed. I mean it has to be a fire hazard in the stairwells. I started school there last winter and I joined their disability program for other reasons. Back then I could walk fine. Anyways, I’ve heard that they have been getting away with this for many years. What can I do to help in general. I will heal in time, others won’t. SHAME ON THEM!!!
So you don't like the speed of the elevators and the fact that the school "lets" blind students use the stairwells? Not much you (or anyone) can do about that.

FlyingRon

So you don't like the speed of the elevators and the fact that the school "lets" blind students use the stairwells? Not much you (or anyone) can do about that.
For one who claims to be disabled you seem to have a low tolerance for others with disabilities. Anyway, reasonable accommodation doesn't mean to whatever standards a student wishes to invent. Slow elevators are complaint. Get a backpack if you can't walk with crutches while carrying your books.

ecmst12

Sounds like you need to allow for more time to get to your classes and accept that it is going to take longer for you to get places until you are healed.

You're funny. When the blind are told by other people about a sign that reads "Out of Order" on the elevators, we all take bets on the fastest blind kind in the school.

Whel?****************************....

Sounds like you need to allow for more time to get to your classes and accept that it is going to take longer for you to get places until you are healed.
Thanks ecmst12, but unfortunately I have to take the semester off to do some major physical rehab and heal, however that only takes up part of the day and my mind gets bored so I want help others. Also, I have to have several meetings with advisers and such which will truly let me walk in their shoes

I know it's like fighting city hall but I believe in Karma. And wish me luck for the end of next week, that's my first meeting back at campus.

So, the question remains. Are they're any professionals out there who can guide me the right direction.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you suggesting that the blind students should be *prohibited* from using the stairwells?

I commute with a blind man. When we get to the main station, he has a choice of stairs, escalator, and elevator to get to the lower level and pick up the subway. He *chooses* the stairway. I take the escalator, myself, but he prefers the stairs.

So, what's wrong with that?

LdiJ

Are you suggesting that the blind students should be *prohibited* from using the stairwells?

I commute with a blind man. When we get to the main station, he has a choice of stairs, escalator, and elevator to get to the lower level and pick up the subway. He *chooses* the stairway. I take the escalator, myself, but he prefers the stairs.

My take on the original post was different than everyone else's. My take was that the OP felt that the school did not have proper accomodations for disabled students...and that he thought it was terrible that blind people HAD to use the stairs to get anywhere. Not that blind people shouldn't be in stairwells, but that they shouldn't HAVE to be in stairwells.

A few of you seemed to have missed the point.

NO, of course not! They are entitled to take any miens of transportation they choose, which includes stairs And elevators. Are you suggesting, that an 8 month pregnant woman even though she's not technically "physically disabled" must take the stairs?

Silverplum

Thanks ecmst12, but unfortunately I have to take the semester off to do some major physical rehab and heal, however that only takes up part of the day and my mind gets bored so I want help others. Also, I have to have several meetings with advisers and such which will truly let me walk in their shoes

I know it's like fighting city hall but I believe in Karma. And wish me luck for the end of next week, that's my first meeting back at campus.

So, the question remains. Are they're any professionals out there who can guide me the right direction.
RE the bolded:
That's probably good.

That way, you won't be so surprised.

:cool:

My take on the original post was different than everyone else's. My take was that the OP felt that the school did not have proper accomodations for disabled students...and that he thought it was terrible that blind people HAD to use the stairs to get anywhere. Not that blind people shouldn't be in stairwells, but that they shouldn't HAVE to be in stairwells.
Thank You, You got exactly what I meant!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
NO, of course not! They are entitled to take any miens of transportation they choose, which includes stairs And elevators. Are you suggesting, that an 8 month pregnant woman even though she's not technically "physically disabled" must take the stairs?
Nope. But by your own admission there ARE elevators. That they are not fast enough to suit Your Highness does not nullify the fact that they exist.

ETA: and FYI, you're trying to turn this into an ADA issue, but pregnancy is not covered under the ADA except in very rare cases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">