+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Cool How do you get picture ID without already having picture ID?

    I have a friend who went up to Alaska 23yrs ago after getting a DUI in Torrence, CA. Since then he's been on an island helping a friend on his farm. He came back to CA in 2009 for his mothers funeral, ran into an old girlfriend, ticked off his current gf who took off after burning everything he owned. Now he has no ID, no SS card,can't remember the number, but does have his original birth certificate. he can't get ID without a SSN but they won't give him his number or card without photo ID. Even went to the police station here in Redding, ca to see if they could pull up his old DUI and arrest record to get his number but they can't find any record of him either. Now he can't work or get on a plane to get back up north. Everything from when he was in school (ie: medical records, dental, school albums,etc) was tossed when his mom passed. The only thing saved was his birth certificate.
    I've known him for almost 20 years up in AK. As to not knowing his SSN he hasn't had to use it in since he left CA 23 yrs ago. Where he was living was on a farm that you can only get to by boat or a small sea plane, population 7. The only place he's been since then was to anchorage 11 yrs ago(before ID was needed) and to the small town 70mi away every couple of months by boat, no ID needed.
    We currently live in WA but have driven to CA three times now trying to get this taken care of. (currently in CA since friday but running out of money and ideas. Need to head home within a day or two so need some ideas so it's not another wasted trip. And yes, before you ask, I am the old girlfriend.)

    Last edited by dutchgirl198; 10-25-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: more information
  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Take the birth certificate to SS, get a replacement SS card. Hard to imagine he doesn't know his SSN, but get it from prior tax returns. Have someone fax him his old returns. Take the birth certificate and SS card to get a new passport. Take the passport, SS card, and birth certificate to Alaska DMV, and get a replacement drivers license.

    He'll be back home in 6 months.

    Last edited by Kiawah; 10-25-2010 at 02:22 PM.
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Social security will not accept a birth certificate as proof, not even the original which is what he has. You must show photo ID....which you can not get without a SSN. Tax returns? Fax? There isn't even a phone and cell phones don't get signals. A radio or snail mail when a boat comes in is the only form of communication. He worked for room, board, and got "women, wine, and dancing" money when he went to town. He's been helping a friend on his farm who got seriously injured about 10 years ago. Down here it may sound strange but not up there.
    He doesn't have bills, they run the generators. There is no power company or water dept.

    Last edited by dutchgirl198; 10-25-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: information
  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Strange that you're taking care of his problems for him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    See bolded:
    Replacement Social Security Card for a U.S.-Born Citizen

    You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you may not need to get a replacement card. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. You are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

    To get a replacement card:

    Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
    Show us documents proving:
    U.S. citizenship (if you have not already established your citizenship with us); and
    Take your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

    We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth, U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship.


    We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

    U.S. driverís license;
    State-issued nondriver identification card; or
    U.S. passport.
    If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

    Employee ID card;
    School ID card;
    Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
    U.S. military ID card.

    We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity.

    All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

    We will mail your card as soon as we have all of your information and have verified your documents. Your replacement card will have the same name and number as your previous card.

    Keep your Social Security card in a safe place. It is an important document. Do not carry it with you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Lime Tree Arbour
    Am I the only thinking OP is being fed a line here?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    in the ether
    have you tried the police station he was taken to for his DUI? maybe they have a picture ID.

    They may have fingerprint records that could be matched to him. Not sure how you would get the cops to print him and pull up his records but given the situation, that's the best I've got.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Picture of a Picture
    By rjordan392 in forum Copyrights & Trademarks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 10:04 PM
  2. Using my picture
    By drjay in forum Libel / Slander / Defamation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 12:43 AM
  3. Can I sell a picture postcard as a picture?
    By Polaris in forum Copyrights & Trademarks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 02:32 AM
  4. Picture This!!
    By MadCow4now in forum Job Discrimination and Harassment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2002, 08:45 AM
  5. I got the picture!!!
    By Rainy in forum Consumer Bankruptcy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2000, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.