• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to write a Letter of Intent Regarding Illegal Drugs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ComputerGuy

I recently got a job offer from a DoD Contractor that requires that I get a "position of trust" with the US government. In the past I have used illegal drugs (weed occasionally and mushrooms once). I want to include a letter of intent stating that I will not use drugs in the future in-case that will assist in the process of getting a clearance. Below is what I was thinking of including but I would like to know if I should reword it in anyway or included any other statements. I apologize if this not the correct sub forum for this topic I was unsure of where I should put it.

Letter of Intent Regarding Illegal Drugs
I, MY NAME, swear to avoid any further association whatsoever with any use, possession, production or distribution of illegal drugs before, while or after holding any level of clearance or position of trust with the United States Government.

Sign__________________________________
Date_______________

sandyclaus

I recently got a job offer from a DoD Contractor that requires that I get a "position of trust" with the US government. In the past I have used illegal drugs (weed occasionally and mushrooms once). I want to include a letter of intent stating that I will not use drugs in the future in-case that will assist in the process of getting a clearance. Below is what I was thinking of including but I would like to know if I should reword it in anyway or included any other statements. I apologize if this not the correct sub forum for this topic I was unsure of where I should put it.

I, MY NAME, swear to avoid any further association whatsoever with any use, possession, production or distribution of illegal drugs before, while or after holding any level of clearance or position of trust with the United States Government.

Date_______________
The problem with writing a letter of intent is that you actually have to ADHERE to its terms.

You already admit that you have used illegal drugs in the past. They were illegal before, but you did it anyway.

Just because you write a letter of intent is no guarantee that you won't do it again in the future.

justalayman

Date_______________

so if you are not granted some level of clearance you intend on continuing to use, possess, produce, and/or distribute illegal drugs? That is the implied statement you have written.

las365

Where did you get the idea to do such a "Letter of Intent"? Don't. Just... don't.

Do you have any criminal record related to illegal drugs? How recently have you used?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
II want to include a letter of intent stating that I will not use drugs in the future in-case that will assist in the process of getting a clearance.

"in case that will assist"? What makes you think this is an appropriate course of action?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As written, the "letter" acknowledges illegal activity. Why do you think that helps? :rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You want to make darned sure that you DON'T get your clearance? Then send that letter.

tranquility

There is nothing the OP can do other than be truthful on the clearance forms that will help him pass the background. (Well, and stay out of trouble currently.) Adding things the investigator does not ask for only opens up another thing to research and will delay a decision.

However, on a minor symbolic logic point:
so if you are not granted some level of clearance you intend on continuing to use, possess, produce, and/or distribute illegal drugs? That is the implied statement you have written.
If A then not B is not logically the same as If not A then B. (Sub A for clearance and B for drug use.)

justalayman

However, on a minor symbolic logic point:

If A then not B is not logically the same as If not A then B. (Sub A for clearance and B for drug use.)
You do realize the statement was:

Your logic points deal with absolutes. I spoke of implication which is a perceived statement.

since there is no statement that b is not present now, there can be no absolute.

so, try something like:

if b is present and I achieve a I will cease to continue with b.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">