• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gretchentoyou

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My father's identity was stolen years ago by a former ex of my sisters. All evidence of several credit cards were handed over by my mother to the local police department then forwarded to the postmaster general. They would not pursue the case since it was only $48,000 and under the "$50,000" required by them to prosecute the man responsible for this crime. It ruined by deceased father's name, my mothers credit and my mother herself. To add insult to injury, the man worked as my father and filed tax returns in his name. Each agency called did not take action. This man was a known fugitive, has since been in and out of prison. I'm seeking some form of justice for my family.
Please help!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My father's identity was stolen years ago by a former ex of my sisters. All evidence of several credit cards were handed over by my mother to the local police department then forwarded to the postmaster general. They would not pursue the case since it was only $48,000 and under the "$50,000" required by them to prosecute the man responsible for this crime. It ruined by deceased father's name, my mothers credit and my mother herself. To add insult to injury, the man worked as my father and filed tax returns in his name. Each agency called did not take action. This man was a known fugitive, has since been in and out of prison. I'm seeking some form of justice for my family.
Please help!
How many years ago did all of this occur?

You say the man who stole your father's identity has been in and out of prison. What sort of justice beyond prison for this man are you seeking after all of this time?

Dandy Don

What a shame that you all have been let down by your local police.

If your father has not done so already, he needs to notify one or more of the credit bureaus of this situation to explain what has happened.

Have you reported the fraud to the state tax agency and to the IRS? That should be enough for one of these agencies to at least begin trying to clear up the mess.

You can also consult with a business law or civil law attorney to determine whether or not you want to file a civil suit against this man if you can afford the legal expense of doing so.

quincy

What a shame that you all have been let down by your local police.

If your father has not done so already, he needs to notify one or more of the credit bureaus of this situation to explain what has happened.

Have you reported the fraud to the state tax agency and to the IRS? That should be enough for one of these agencies to at least begin trying to clear up the mess.

You can also consult with a business law or civil law attorney to determine whether or not you want to file a civil suit against this man if you can afford the legal expense of doing so.
It helps to read, and understand, what the poster has said before responding to a post.

The father is dead.

Without knowing how long ago any of this occurred, it is impossible to advise as to whether there is any legal action to pursue against a deceased man's identity thief.

Dandy Don

Don't be so snarky, quincy--AND TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO READ FOR CONTEXT!! It's the ex who can be sued, not the father.

quincy

Don't be so snarky, quincy--AND TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO READ FOR CONTEXT!! It's the ex who can be sued, not the father.
Snarky? You failed to read the original post.

You told Gretchentoyou to have her father notify the credit bureaus. A little hard for him to do, I would think, seeing as how he's dead.

It is important to know how many "years ago" all of this happened and what sort of "justice" is being sought.

And who exactly will be suing the ex for stealing the identity of a man who is no longer alive?

And is the ex currently in prison?

And who said anything about suing the father? He's dead.

Gretchentoyou said in the original post that "each agency contacted did not take action."

It does not appear you read the original post or, with your comment directed to me about "context," that you read my posts either.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">