• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal name change? Applying for passport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ravensrn2001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I've been married for 20 years and changed my name from FIRST-MIDDLE-LAST to MIDDLE-LAST-MARRIED (eg MARY KATHERINE SMITH to KATHERINE SMITH JONES). I applied for an expedited passport last week, and was told by the post office that this name change wasn't allowed. I had it sent, anyway. I was expecting to receive my passport by now. I called the passport agency and was told that it was still in process. I explained my situation, and the rep said it should be fine. My check was cashed already. Should I worry? I'm planning to vacation out of the country in 2 days.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I've been married for 20 years and changed my name from FIRST-MIDDLE-LAST to MIDDLE-LAST-MARRIED (eg MARY KATHERINE SMITH to KATHERINE SMITH JONES). I applied for an expedited passport last week, and was told by the post office that this name change wasn't allowed. I had it sent, anyway. I was expecting to receive my passport by now. I called the passport agency and was told that it was still in process. I explained my situation, and the rep said it should be fine. My check was cashed already. Should I worry? I'm planning to vacation out of the country in 2 days.
It has not been 8 days for processing has it?
It has not been 3 weeks for delivery has it?

see this link
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/processing-times.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">