• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am currently working as an on-call worker and just got a summons for jury duty and just wanted to know if I am obligated to do the jury duty if say my employer all of a sudden needs me on the day I go. No I Have not asked my employer yet about this as I believe they don't want to use me anymore.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are free to ask for a postponement; the court may or may not grant it. If they do, fine; if they don't, you'd better get your behind to court on the assigned day. In my state, and several others (I don't know specifically about yours - CC?) you can and will be found in contempt of court if you don't show up when expected.

BTW, it is illegal in every state for an employer to fire you or take adverse action against you because you were called for jury duty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">