• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury Duty Exemption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rivers

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I just received a jury duty summons in the mail today. I am a SAHM of a 3 y.o. who is with me the whole day. She really hasn't been away from me, but only a couple of hours at a time (infrequently).

The Jury duty FAQ states:
What are the reasons for which I can request to be excused from service?
The N.J. statutes set forth, in N.J.S. 2B:20-10, grounds for which a person can request to be excused from juror service. Each of these grounds is listed on the uniform juror questionnaire/summons. In most instances, you will be required to submit supporting documentation for the Jury Management Office to determine whether to grant your excuse from jury service. Many jurors who request to be excused instead have their service rescheduled to a more convenient time which accommodates the juror's circumstances. You may request to be excused from jury service if:

You care for a minor child, or a sick, aged or infirm dependent and have no alternative care available without suffering severe financial hardship.

When requesting to be excused for any of these circumstances, keep in mind that the Jury Management Office will grant you time to arrange for alternative care. In order to be excused from jury service due to any of these circumstances, you must submit the proper documentation that indicates your role in the individual’s daily care.

My two questions are: what constitutes a "severe financial hardship"? and what "proper documentation" can I submit in this situation?

TIA!

Last edited:

ecmst12

Attachment at that age is not unnatural (at least not on the child's end) but she WILL survive perfectly fine if she needs to go with someone else for a few days. In fact, it's good for children to be exposed to multiple caregivers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">