• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury Duty Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roselandgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I need to find out what jury duty pays in Ohio (Richland County). The link to FAQ's on their web site(that was given in my notice) is not even on there(typical of how things are done around here)! I put in a written request to be excused because my employer will not pay me if I have to serve; I don't fit within their eligibility guidelines. Also I am in Ch.13 bankruptcy and cannot afford to miss work. I feel this is a legitimate excuse, but my request was DENIED by the bailiff. Now I am in a panic that I will be called...HELP!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When I was called it was $20 a day. But not in Richland County. I will ask -- why won't your company pay the difference? You have a COURT ORDER to be there.

fairisfair

Many employers don't pay for absences due to jury duty. There is no legal requirement for them to do so.

They can't refuse to allow you to serve, but they don't have to pay you.

By the way.... $25??? you guys are big time.... Here you get $12 a day and 44.5 mileage..... wooooo EEEEEEEE!!!!

Last edited:

roselandgirl

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone who replied...I found out it IS $25 a day, but it still is going to cause an extreme hardship for me! All the bailiff would say is that I will have to speak to the judge about it (being excused) if I do get called. My employer has guidelines about eligibility for jury duty pay that I don't fall within, like a certain # of average hrs. worked over the last year. Oh well, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

HomeGuru

Thanks, everyone who replied...I found out it IS $25 a day, but it still is going to cause an extreme hardship for me! All the bailiff would say is that I will have to speak to the judge about it (being excused) if I do get called. My employer has guidelines about eligibility for jury duty pay that I don't fall within, like a certain # of average hrs. worked over the last year. Oh well, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!
**A: it is getting harder to get out of jury duty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">