• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal name change and social security cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmohr

North Dakota: I need a copy of my boyfriend's social security card. The only problem is that I his last name on his social security card is different from the one that is one his birth certificate. I went to the social security office and they told us that he would have to do a legal name change to get his last name the same on both documents. However, I have no idea how to do a legal name change. There is no form you can simply fill out, and there is no information ANYWHERE on how to start this process. The other issue we have is that he was born on the reservation. Please someone help us.

Silverplum

North Dakota: I need a copy of my boyfriend's social security card. The only problem is that I his last name on his social security card is different from the one that is one his birth certificate. I went to the social security office and they told us that he would have to do a legal name change to get his last name the same on both documents. However, I have no idea how to do a legal name change. There is no form you can simply fill out, and there is no information ANYWHERE on how to start this process. The other issue we have is that he was born on the reservation. Please someone help us.
No, YOU don't "need" a copy of HIS card. :eek:

Tell him to act like a grownup and handle HIS business. ;)

Antigone*

Why do you need a copy of your boyfriend's SS card? Also since you are not a licensed attorney it would consitute practicing law without a license if you even attempt to change his name; however, this is something he can do himself if he so chooses. He will need to make a trip to his local court house and request information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">