• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien filed by IRS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wassdeet

CA

I've received a notice of Lien signed March 29, 2012 for around $8000 in back taxes. Truth is I survive on pensions of about $16,000 plus a small inheritance from Canada that could run out in 3 years). I'm 65, and have no real assets, live in apt and continue to write stories in hopes of sales. I am/was a writer.

I owe IRS around $40k and have been talking with them, trouble is there are 2 or 3 different IRS people I talk to, one is trying to find a way to make small payments, the other IRS filed a Lien.

As mentioned, I am in contact with one IRS dept.

What can I say? Advice?

nextwife

If prnsions are insufficient to pay what you owe, why are you not working or trying to find work? My husband is your age and working full time. Retirement is something you should only do IF you can afford it or if you are too elderly and infirm to work. At 65, you are FAR from elderly.

Mass_Shyster

When was the tax originally due, when was the return actually filed, and when was the amount assessed by the IRS?

Sometimes it is possible to discharge tax debts in bankruptcy.

For $40,000, a meeting with a bankruptcy attorney would be in order.

Wassdeet

Thanks Steve, will look into that

and for nextwife I'm glad her husband has a job, too bad his wife judges people she doesn't even know.

Hot Topic

You come to a forum, then get mad because someone posts something you don't like? We're not here to "poor baby" you. Grow up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">