• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Low income housing/Section 8

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hellodarkness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Hello there, I'm a 21 year old male living in fresno Ca. I currently attend 3rd year of college as a full-time student, attempting to become a computer engineer, taking about 19 units atm.

I have lived in low income housing apartments since freshman year of highschool with my Mother and younger brother who currently is still a minor.

My mother is not legal resident of the country.

recently(1 month ago) my mother was forced to leave the country since my grandparents are dying. as you could assume she is now unable to comeback inside, and i find myself in a tricky situation.

yearly Recertification for the subsidy is now being asked.

offcourse to do the Recertification my manager of apartments keeps insisting that my mother has to be present to sign the papers.

if i dont get that recirtification my rent will increase from 218$ (which I've payed so far with my fafsa ) to 799$, which simply is not feasible as i do not currently work and am unable since of the amount of classes i am taking.

I also did some research and discovered that students as individuals cannot benefit from these programs because i am still considered a dependent, even if my mother is located outside the country.

I find myself stressing out about what do now, I really am not trying to abuse the system, my brother still lives with me. IM really trying to get ahead and finally leave these apartments filled with nothing but gangbangers (my aparment has suffered from stray bullets) and women who can clearly work but choose not too ( the neighboor even tried to sell me her food stamps).

I was thinking about marrying my longtime 2 year girlfriend "legally" so we could become independent (Shes totally onboard btw....she loves me very much, i do too) and then i could apply for the housing assistance. The things is she attends a university 3 hours away from me, so even if we marry idk how that would affect me towards the application of the program

Idk what to do. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

quincy

Hellodarkness, on this forum you only need to start one thread. The forum members who are best able to answer your questions will find you here. :)

Dandy Don

Are YOU a legal resident of this country?

Whose name is on the lease for the apartment--just your mother's name or does your name also appear on the lease?

Sorry that you have to face a difficult situation but life sometimes throws us curveballs.

You will probably need to report as soon as possible to tell your landlord that your mother has moved out of the country and will not be coming back (you haven't even asked your mother if she even plans to return?).

If you can not continue to afford to live there, then you need to be making some quick decisions about what else to do.

You can submit your own public housing application and hopefully you will be put on the waiting list and receive a determination within 30 days, based on your FAFSA income.

Have you ever held a full-time job in the past?

If your public housing application is not approved, then you should seriously consider quitting school so that you can find a full-time job to get the rent paid, and at some point in the future consider going back to school. Is your school accredited (it it a college or a university or just an online school offering online classes) that also has on-campus housing for students?

Public housing apartments are a separate program from Section 8 housing (which lets you live in a house). You should apply for public housing assistance to get an apartment.

Last edited:

DeenaCA

The problem is that HUD programs have restrictions on college students who apply for or receive housing assistance "on their own." The restrictions don't apply to college students in their parents' households. Since the OP's mother has moved out of the unit, the restrictions now apply. Here is some information on the rule: https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=DOC_20482.pdf

Note that college students are still eligible if their parent or parents, who live elsewhere, meet the definition of "low income," which varies by location. It's difficult to see how that would be determined for a parent living outside the USA.

I recommend that you discuss the issue with your apartment management. Don't conceal information or delay the recertification process. You may still qualify for assistance. I don't recommend marrying in order to qualify for government benefits but that's just my opinion.

paddywakk

Don't Get Married

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Hello there, I'm a 21 year old male living in fresno Ca. I currently attend 3rd year of college as a full-time student, attempting to become a computer engineer, taking about 19 units atm.

I have lived in low income housing apartments since freshman year of highschool with my Mother and younger brother who currently is still a minor.

My mother is not legal resident of the country.

recently(1 month ago) my mother was forced to leave the country since my grandparents are dying. as you could assume she is now unable to comeback inside, and i find myself in a tricky situation.

yearly Recertification for the subsidy is now being asked.

offcourse to do the Recertification my manager of apartments keeps insisting that my mother has to be present to sign the papers.

if i dont get that recirtification my rent will increase from 218$ (which I've payed so far with my fafsa ) to 799$, which simply is not feasible as i do not currently work and am unable since of the amount of classes i am taking.

I also did some research and discovered that students as individuals cannot benefit from these programs because i am still considered a dependent, even if my mother is located outside the country.

I find myself stressing out about what do now, I really am not trying to abuse the system, my brother still lives with me. IM really trying to get ahead and finally leave these apartments filled with nothing but gangbangers (my aparment has suffered from stray bullets) and women who can clearly work but choose not too ( the neighboor even tried to sell me her food stamps).

I was thinking about marrying my longtime 2 year girlfriend "legally" so we could become independent (Shes totally onboard btw....she loves me very much, i do too) and then i could apply for the housing assistance. The things is she attends a university 3 hours away from me, so even if we marry idk how that would affect me towards the application of the program

Idk what to do. any advice would be greatly appreciated
Go to your financial aid office and tell them your mother left the country and left your younger brother in your custody. Since she can't return, ask if you can be considered an independent student. Possible that will allow for additional grants and will certainly increase your loan limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">