• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail concerns... -- Prison Mail...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lonelydragon757

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am wondering if it would be any legal issues if I mailed a book to an incarcerated friend.
posing as an acme book company selling through amazon. just so I can send them a book
without having to go out and spend another 15 - 30 bucks for a book that they already had
at xyz facility. and they are transferred to another location. or any other scenerio to save myself money.

not trying to fraud anybody out of money. just trying not to get myself in trouble by both the prison system
or worst. time myself for mail fraud. of some sort.

quincy

I am wondering if it would be any legal issues if I mailed a book to an incarcerated friend.
posing as an acme book company selling through amazon. just so I can send them a book
without having to go out and spend another 15 - 30 bucks for a book that they already had
at xyz facility. and they are transferred to another location. or any other scenerio to save myself money.

not trying to fraud anybody out of money. just trying not to get myself in trouble by both the prison system
The following is a link to Virginia's Department of Corrections information on inmate mail:
http://vadoc.virginia.gov/offenders/prison-life/mail.shtm

It is never a good idea to pretend to be someone you're not with the intent to deceive another into believing you are that person. I can think of very few people/entities that are worse to attempt to deceive than the Department of Corrections.

The best way to save money is to write your incarcerated friend a letter.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...just so I can send them a book
What am I missing? Are inmates not allowed to possess books in Virginia?

Indiana Filer

What am I missing? Are inmates not allowed to possess books in Virginia?
Usually Departments of Corrections require all published materials (books, magazines) to be sent directly from a publisher or retail source so that contraband cannot be trafficked into the facility using the item. There are lots of ways a book can be modified to hide contraband.

LdiJ

So, you want to send your friend a book that you already have...but cannot do so because books have to come directly from publishers? Sorry, but what you are considering doing is foolish at best and dangerous at worst.

Just find the best deal you can from a used book seller online and have it shipped directly to your friend. Try Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">