• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MD won't let me renew my tages because of back taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moffett8

What is the name of your state MD (only U.S. law)?
What can I do the state says I owe MD for back taxes and will not allow me to renew my tags for my vehicle because they say I owe them back taxes. I am unemployed and don't have the money they want me to pay them.

Proserpina

Sell, beg, borrow - do whatever it takes (LEGALLY) to pay off the debt.

Or, offer them a repayment plan - they might take it.

Otherwise, don't expect the state to give you a break.

moffett8

They will take a repayment plan but want a big down payment up front.
The state of Md is heartless. I just found out when I went to renew my tags. I got no notices mailed to me prior to today. I have 4 days...it will take a miracle.

Proserpina

They will take a repayment plan but want a big down payment up front.
The state of Md is heartless. I just found out when I went to renew my tags. I got no notices mailed to me prior to today. I have 4 days...it will take a miracle.

The state isn't heartless.

You didn't pay whatever it was - actions have consequences.

Don't blame the state.

Antigone*

What can I do the state says I owe MD for back taxes and will not allow me to renew my tags for my vehicle because they say I owe them back taxes. I am unemployed and don't have the money they want me to pay them.
Use public transporation. Sell the car to pay the taxes. It is obvious you cannot afford your car.

sandyclaus

Sounds like a classic "robbing Peter to pay Paul" dilemma. You used money for other things instead of paying your taxes. Now the tax man wants their due, and you would rather use the money to pay for the car tags.

Time to start looking into alternative forms of transportation and ways to pay off that tax debt, because they will keep the hold on your auto registration until you've paid it. And driving around a vehicle with no registration puts you at risk of fines, having your vehicle towed and impounded, and stored long-term until you can come up with a valid registration. That's even MORE money you can't afford to spend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">