• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed Jury Summons NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rushjs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NY?

I totally Missed a Jury Summons for Kings County Brooklyn, by a few days. Regular Summons Nothing special. So what happens now? Do I wait for another summons notice? Whats the best approach?
I am not trying to cop out of the Jury Summons, I dont mind serving just need some advice to handle this responsibly now that its been brought to my attention.

Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) NY?

I totally Missed a Jury Summons for Kings County Brooklyn, by a few days. Regular Summons Nothing special. So what happens now? Do I wait for another summons notice? Whats the best approach?
I am not trying to cop out of the Jury Summons, I dont mind serving just need some advice to handle this responsibly now that its been brought to my attention.

Thanks.
Call the court and ask to reschedule. You may find that there is a warrant that has been issued and you need to deal with it. Ignoring it or doing nothing like LD advised is NOT the best approach nor the responsible approach. Tomorrow call the court and ask for the jury clerk/coordinator or whatever the person is called and explain the situation.

LdiJ

Call the court and ask to reschedule. You may find that there is a warrant that has been issued and you need to deal with it. Ignoring it or doing nothing like LD advised is NOT the best approach nor the responsible approach. Tomorrow call the court and ask for the jury clerk/coordinator or whatever the person is called and explain the situation.
Here is why I recommended not doing anything. If your jury system is anything like ours, you get a letter with a number. You are supposed to call each evening after 5 PM to see if your number is called for the next day. At some point during the week if your number hasn't been called, you are dismissed.

If you forgot to call and your number wasn't called, then no harm no foul.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Here is why I recommended not doing anything. If your jury system is anything like ours, you get a letter with a number. You are supposed to call each evening after 5 PM to see if your number is called for the next day. At some point during the week if your number hasn't been called, you are dismissed.

My county works that way except you have to call -- if you don't then there is a warrant. This OP may have a warrant. This OP needs to deal with it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

You are advising the OP to ignore this legal matter because you are making guesses based on your experience in a different state? :confused:

For the OP: It is NEVER wise to ignore legal matters. Never.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not in the OP's state.

However, I once had an employee come to me and show me the notice she had just received. THREE YEARS EARLIER she had missed reporting for jury duty. She had JUST received a notice to the effect that she either reported on such and such a date, approximately two weeks in the future, or she would be arrested. No rescheduling possible - that date or arrest.

These things do not go away. To ignore the issue on the basis that MAYBE if they had called they would have been told not to report is asking for trouble and, IMHO, an exceedingly irresponsible suggestion. I expect better of LDiJ.

You Are Guilty

NYS Court System said:
Q ] What happens if a juror does not report for jury service?

A ] Jury duty, like paying taxes, is mandatory. Skipping jury duty can result in civil or criminal penalties. In addition, anyone who skips jury service will be assigned a new date for future jury service.
http://www.nyjuror.gov/juryQandA.shtml#Q9

Just call the Juror Clerk and they will assign you a new date: (347) 404-9990. (They generally won't send the Marshalls for you till you skip 2-3 notices).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Brought to your attention? It was brought to your attention when you received the summons in the mail and you seem to have forgotten about it.

Same thing happened to several people I know in Queens. Just wait - they'll get to you again. Yours is not an unusual situation.

You Are Guilty

Just curious - just what is a marshal supposed to do in this situation?
Ah, the dangers of a missed smiley. Just my weird sense of humor at work - as (I thought) everyone knew, there is no "Jury Duty Police".

The penalties (other than in Queens who last I heard stopped doing it), are monetary fines.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ah, the dangers of a missed smiley. Just my weird sense of humor at work - as (I thought) everyone knew, there is no "Jury Duty Police".

The penalties (other than in Queens who last I heard stopped doing it), are monetary fines.
Thank you for explaining, YAG.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">