• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I allow inspection of home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torellian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I just got a letter in the mail today from the city assessor office. It says that they want me to call them to schedule an appointment for someone from the city to come to my home to inspect the interior because they want to assess values of homes in the area.

This doesn't sound right to me. They've always valued homes based on sales made in the past by owners of similar homes in the same neighborhood. To have to allow someone from the city to enter my home to look around inside for 10 minutes (their estimate) sounds like a warrantless search to me. It reminds me of when my insurance agent stopped by one day as he was "passing by the area" and took pictures of the outside of my house, and then casually asked to come inside, after which he began taking pictures of the inside of my house. That felt like a violation, and this one from the city feels even more so.

Am I legally required to let them into my home?

tranquility

Did they give any reason in the letter? Statutory reason?

Property tax assessment in the broad sense does not require viewing the interior. I don't see a requirement in your right to appeal that you have to meet with the assessor first. So, I'm wondering if this isn't a county personal property tax audit or something.

Torellian

Did they give any reason in the letter? Statutory reason?

Property tax assessment in the broad sense does not require viewing the interior. I don't see a requirement in your right to appeal that you have to meet with the assessor first. So, I'm wondering if this isn't a county personal property tax audit or something.
I wish I had the letter with me right now. I just gave it a quick read as I left the house awhile ago. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow on the details. Maybe I'll take a photo of it and post it here.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I just got a letter in the mail today from the city assessor office. It says that they want me to call them to schedule an appointment for someone from the city to come to my home to inspect the interior because they want to assess values of homes in the area.

This doesn't sound right to me. They've always valued homes based on sales made in the past by owners of similar homes in the same neighborhood. To have to allow someone from the city to enter my home to look around inside for 10 minutes (their estimate) sounds like a warrantless search to me. It reminds me of when my insurance agent stopped by one day as he was "passing by the area" and took pictures of the outside of my house, and then casually asked to come inside, after which he began taking pictures of the inside of my house. That felt like a violation, and this one from the city feels even more so.

Am I legally required to let them into my home?
**A: were there addditions made and made without building permits? Did you call and ask the City why they need to inspect the interior? What things will they be looking for/at?

Torellian

**A: were there addditions made and made without building permits? Did you call and ask the City why they need to inspect the interior? What things will they be looking for/at?
They said in the letter (which I don't have with me right now) that it was for assessment reasons.

Torellian

I did get my roof reshingled without a permit. Roofer said I needed a permit but that I could probably get away with not having one. That was about 5 years ago. But no building of any rooms or anything like that.

HomeGuru

I did get my roof reshingled without a permit. Roofer said I needed a permit but that I could probably get away with not having one. That was about 5 years ago. But no building of any rooms or anything like that.
**A: then I do not see what the problem is. I do question why they need to get inside.

Torellian

**A: then I do not see what the problem is. I do question why they need to get inside.
Well, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details right now. I sure wish I had the letter with me right now. I'm not at home, but the letter is. I'll take a photo of it and post a link to it here so all the details will be shown. All I can say now is that it is for assessment of value.

Last Winter, I had a problem with the street department sending me letters saying my sidewalk had snow on it and were threatening to fine me for it. My sidewalk was clear and I tried telling them that and asking for proof, such as a photo showing that what they were inspecting was actually my sidewalk, and they kept insisting that if I got a letter in the mail about it, then I have all the proof I need that I had snow on my sidewalk. I still have a recording of that conversation. I hope that little incident isn't causing me to be targeted in this way. I had reported the city worker who was doing the "sidewalk" inspections" because it turned out he was inspecting the sidewalk across the street and reporting it as my address. Even took photos and video of him doing that. I'm just hoping this little "home value assessment" crap isn't some kind of payback.

tranquility

While I generally agree here with homeguru, I hesitate without knowing the why. If he ran a business from his house, the county/city might have rights to look inside to assess the personal property in an audit. Also, some inspections might have local approval for certain reasons.

You Are Guilty

While If he ran a business from his house, the county/city might have rights to look inside to assess the personal property in an audit. Also, some inspections might have local approval for certain reasons.
So if the City decides to come inspect my home-based whorehouse without a warrant, I have to let them in as long as they yell "audit!" when they enter?

(Please respond quickly, as depending on your answer, I have a lot of moving to do.)

HomeGuru

So if the City decides to come inspect my home-based whorehouse without a warrant, I have to let them in as long as they yell "audit!" when they enter?

(Please respond quickly, as depending on your answer, I have a lot of moving to do.)
**A: I have been assigned to inspect your property. Will call you today. Please make sure your merchandise is present for the inspection. Thank you.

tranquility

Of course not. But, be prepared for a big tax bill as they might make a finding based on the licenses held and not reality.

We have a retired client who maintains his professional licenses. Plumber, electrician and a number of other like specialties. He does no work at all. The state keeps trying to assess income taxes because, statistically, a person with those licenses make such and so amount. County too for personal property taxes as a person with those licenses must have some inventory.

It's not that they have a right to enter, it's just it may be in the OP's best interests to let them.

justalayman

It's not that they have a right to enter, it's just it may be in the OP's best interests to let them.
so we now need to kow tow to the government lest we be charged with taxes they think might be applicable? Come on tranq. Since when do we have to prove something they think might apply actually doesn't? The onus is upon the government to support their contention. If they cannot, then they cannot assess the taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">