• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex-husband has broken into my bank & e-mail accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mxypixle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I have proof that my ex-husband has broken into not only my e-mail accounts, but has been monitoring my bank accounts as well. What are my options?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have proof that my ex-husband has broken into not only my e-mail accounts, but has been monitoring my bank accounts as well. What are my options?
Change your password. Find a different bank.

CdwJava

How did he "break into" the email account? Did he ever have the password? Did he alter anything? What is the nature of this "proof?"

How has he been "monitoring" your bank accounts? Has he ever had the password? Has he changed anything? What is the nature of your "proof" of this?

What you can do is change passwords to begin with, and if anything has occurred that you think might be criminal, you call the cops and report it.

Mxypixle

Unfortunately, my proof isn't a lot. He used something I posted in this forum during one of our parent coordination sessions. I had sent the link to my gmail account and that has to be the only way he figured it out. I only found out about this site a week ago and he would have to dig to find my anonymous post. My gmail account is the 2nd e-mail account I've opened since we've been divorce and there's no way he figured out the password, but I know that gmail accounts are fairly easy to break into.

He has also brought up that I bought tickets to a concert when I was supposed to have our son. We had a schedule change and I lost out on the amount of the tickets and didn't go to the event. The only way he could have known was through monitoring my bank account. Which again, is brand new. I started a new account after our divorce and then had to change the account number again after I had some fraudulent charges on my account.

Like I said, it's not a lot to go on and know it sounds bizarre and completely crazy, but this is not the first time he has done this. I just feel like I need to start doing something or this will continue. :(

swalsh411

Yea because monitoring your bank account is the only way he could possibility have known you went to a concert. That doesn't make any sense. When you buy tickets it does not say the date of the event on your bank statement. :rolleyes:

He could have also figured out it was you posting because you used a similar username or because you provided enough details in your post to be reconizeable. He's probably reading this right now thinking how crazy you are.

Mxypixle

Yep, I'm completely insane and totally making all this up just because I'm psychotic. It's not as though he hasn't done it before. For anyone who wants a serious answer - it can be considered stalking and domestic violence, but you have to have a paper trail. They need physical evidence rather than just witness accounts. Gmail is much harder to track than Yahoo or Hotmail. You can file a complaint with your local police department.

davew128

OP, I ALSO just googled your username and state and found everything there is know about you. The point is, if we as disinterested strangers can figure it out, someone who knows you intimately wouldn't need to do much to find out what you were doing using LEGAL MEANS.

ecmst12

Unless your passwords are easy to guess, there are not many people with the skills to hack into an email account, let ALONE a bank web site with tons of security safeguards.

CdwJava

It appears that you have no real "proof" and only inference. This is not likely to get the police excited. yes, you can report your suspicions to them, but without anything more to go on they may not even have enough to initiate legal action and get a subpoena for any records - much less a search warrant to his ISP or phone company to see about activity.

Change your passwords, clear your cache from your computer periodically, and make sure you have up-to-date antivirus and intrusion protection software installed. And if you share your computer, create a separate log-in for yourself that has a secure password that only you know.

There are other precautions you might take as well, but those are easy ones to do at the outset.

Also, make sure you have your account information and passwords changed at the bank and on any other accounts you might have on-line.

Silverplum

Unless your passwords are easy to guess, there are not many people with the skills to hack into an email account, let ALONE a bank web site with tons of security safeguards.
*My* online banking has questions for the "security" for which my H would know the answers. ''What was the name of your first pet?" and "What was the name of your first school?" are not the types of "security questions" that are going to keep out someone in the know.

Unless, of course, one does not give accurate answers to those questions when setting up the account. ;) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">