• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor is planting tree's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpothen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

My neighbor is planting a row of pine tree's about 2-3' in from the property line. My driveway is only 3 feet off the property so in time his trees will be growing over my driveway and the roots probably pushing my asphalt driveway up. I know I can trim the trees up to the property line. but this is going to look bad from my property view and possibly kill the tree with half the branches being cut off. Is there anything I can do to keep him from planting the tree's? I've tried talking to him about other issues in the past but he doesn't care to listen.

PQN

Check with your city/village and/or township and/or county. Many have ordinances that prohibit planting trees within so many feet of the property line. If your town has such rules, try and print them out and show them to your neighbor. If he still refuses to listen, file a complaint with your town.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Sounds like it would be an issue for your local building department, or similar.

It's common to require a certain amount of setback for things like that. No one here can possibly know the details of your local codes, especially since you didn't mention your municipality.

As PQN mentioned above, you need to check with your local regulatory authority. If there is no rule or regulation then you can't do much more than ask your neighbor to co-operate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">