• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New claim for unemployment at benefit year end?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayzjourney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I wonder if anyone could help us answer a few questions?

My husband has been out of work for a year today.
Today we got a letter from Unemployment that his benefit year has ended and he has to call a certain number in Nashville to file a new claim.

He was right in the middle of getting Tier 2 benefits and still had a balance on it. When he called the number there was a recording that said something to the effect that Congress has not extended benefits.
He took it to mean "don't bother filing a new claim because it hasn't been passed" --s o he didn't talk to anybody about it.

But I am wondering, does that apply to us since he was in the middle of collecting tier 2?
Should we file a new claim?
Will they deny it since he has not worked, and continue him on the old claim on Tier 2?
Or do we continue to certify on the same day until Congress reconvenes and the senate passes the extension?
If we do have to file a new claim, can we do it online? Or do we actually have to speak to a person to deny the new claim and get him back on Tier 2 of the old claim?

Help!

~ Confused in Tennessee :eek:

commentator

Hi there! Tennessee woman here!

Yes, he MUST go on and file the new claim, which does involve speaking to a live person. What happened was that his benefit year, the date one year from when he filed his old claim, has passed. This means he cannot receive any more benefits until he has determined whether or not he is eligible for a new claim.

If he has not worked since he filed the last claim, he very likely will not have a new claim. It will be what is called an "NE" claim (not eligible). But before he can finish this tier of extension he is on, he must get this matter resolved. NOW. So go back to the phone, hold the phone, hold the phone, hold the phone. It's a good idea to start trying to get in at 7:00am. Get in this week if you possibly can. Don't give up. Keep holding till they put you in queue. Once you are there, keep holding. When a real live person answers tell them what your notice said, that you need to file a new claim because your benefit year has ended. If you can't for some reason get hold of the call center this week, you'll have to wait till Monday. But if you don't get in till next week, request that they backdate the claim to last week, because you had trouble getting in. You don't want to miss a week of benefits if you can avoid it.

Now, the message you got saying that congress has not renewed the unemployment extensions does not mean you personally don't get any more. That's sort of a general announcement that they put up on the "hold" background for people holding the phone. Sort of a general information thing.

Since your husband is still needing one, it wouldn't be a bad idea to call your federal legislators and tell them what a generally lousy idea you think it would be to stop giving extensions right now. But anyhow, it has nothing to do with your situation personally.

If your husband has no new eligiblity for a claim, he will be able to start right back on his extension and draw out the rest of the one he is getting right now. Whether or not there will be another one when this one runs out is what may be up for grabs in congress right now. But he needs to file that new claim immediately, tomorrow if possible. Not on line, by telephone. Then he'll be able to start getting the rest of his Tier II extension.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jayzjourney

thanks Tn woman! :)

Unfortunately, the phones all have the message that they aren't answering calls any more because of the high call volume. We have been trying all day for 2 days-- can't get through. The old claim was filed in Memphis where he was laid off and we since moved to E TN. in the mountains (1 & 1/2 hrs north of Knoxville) so we can't go in to that claim center. The recording also says that new claims can be filed online--- does that pertain to us you think?? :confused:
Maybe we should try......???

commentator

Okay, when you call, I don't mean call once or twice and get the "high call volume" recording. I mean call, and call and call and call., keep trying all day long. It really should be better calling on Friday as Monday is the highest volume day. I mean call all day long. Eventually, you will be placed "in queue" which means they will put you on hold to wait for an answerer. This can take up to two hours of holding the phone. The last time a family member of mine called, we began trying on Monday morning, and actually got through on Thursday afternoon. But it must be done. It can be done. Thousands of people get in each week.

Don't try filing on line unless you really would rather wait five or six weeks before getting started back on your extensions, and then you'll have to call in eventually to get yourself started back up anyway.

Memphis is the only walk-in claims office in the state. If you go in to a career center they can do nothing but offer to let you use their telephone. It is better to use a land line, if you still have access to such a thing, because cell phones do lose their charge after a while and cost.

If you try to go to Knoxville ( I suspect there is a Career Center much closer to you than that) they very likely would not take your claim there anyhow. But you will have to tell the claims taker on the phone that you are able and available and could, if necessary, go into the nearest career center office to you, you can ask what that would be, to participate in job seeking activities as required.

I understand your frustrations about calling in. It's not a very good system. It takes a lot of effort and patience. One reason they stopped having walk-in unemployment offices was because people wanted to do their filing in person instead of calling, and would travel miles to do so. If you absolutely cannot get in today, begin trying to call again on Monday morning at 8:00am your time. This is 7:00am in Nashville, and most of the state isn't at work yet. There'll be fewer callers. Keep trying till you get put in line, then hold the phone till you get through. When you do get in, tell them you've been trying all last week, and ASK FOR THE CLAIM TO BE BACKDATED. If you don't specifically ask, they'll take it as of the day you call, and you'll just miss last week for benefits.

Let me know if you've gotten in next week. I can find someone to call and ask them to call you back and take your claim. But keep trying the phone for now.

Last edited:

jayzjourney

Thank you so much!!:)
You have been very helpful, and I will take you up on that offer of a call back if we can't get through. My husband has been on the phone trying all morning!!:eek:

:)

jayzjourney

Ok here's an interesting development...

My husband just got through--- and its NOT a live person!!! It takes your claim by phone by entering in your answers? Is there ANY WAY to talk to a live person???!!!! Or is it all automated now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">