• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No SSN.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wpwt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas, Pennsylvania (the state of my birth certificate) may be relevant.

When I was born, my parents decided not to apply for my social security number. This creates difficulties for me in my adult life, whether it is acquiring a driver's license, a job, renting an apartment or even being out in public without identification. I would frankly rather not get an SSN, and have considered contacting the ACLU. I need advice on either living without a social security number or acquiring one most efficiently involving the least surrender of privacy.

justalayman

Honestly don't know how you got this far without one but there are very few exceptions to having to acquire a SSN. Unless you fall within one of these very narrow exceptions it is illegal to allow you to work without a SSN.

So, how have you worked without a SSN?

wpwt

Honestly don't know how you got this far without one but there are very few exceptions to having to acquire a SSN. Unless you fall within one of these very narrow exceptions it is illegal to allow you to work without a SSN.

So, how have you worked without a SSN?
I rarely have, I'm very limited.

tranquility

This has been litigated long ago. The only exceptions I'm aware of are at:

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110225035

For a summary of some of the case law and the circumstances it has been applied:

http://congressionalresearch.com/RS20066/document.php?study=RELIGIOUS+OBJECTIONS+TO+USE+OF+SOCIAL+SECURITY+NUMBERS+ON+TAX+RETURNS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">