• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not for Profit Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsrose50

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

We have an issue in front of the board of a not for profit. We had an email vote. There was no quorum after 3 days and as Secretary I closed the vote and said it could be brought up at the board meeting if desired. The members started voting. The issue was whether or not the President who is not employed should have his trip to an event paid for by the organization. The vice president and the secretary are going on their own money. It is not a necesssary thing but a good thing. The organization will be well represented by the two who are going. Our only fund raiser is our motorcycle run aand we pay the bills on several things after the run. The run costs us around $30,000. We have $10,000. in the bank. If it rains we will be $20,000 in the hole and where does the money come from. So paying for someone's trip is quite frivolus in my mind. I guess there are two questions. Can I close down the voting? Is the board behaving in a resposible manner on this issue? Please remember there are 2 females on a 9 person board one of which is me. We are continually attacked by the boys club. Thank you.

tranquility

Can I close down the voting?
You've presented no facts indicating you can, so I'll say no. That could change if you give the reasoning for your closed down voting. Not what happened, but why you think you can close it for that reason(s).
Is the board behaving in a resposible manner on this issue?
If there is a problem, it does not rise to the level of a legal problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">