• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notarizing a document via mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

etrader

I need to notarize a document issued in another state, and thus, I need to travel a long distance.

All Apostille services notarize original documents in their office (one testifies that the copy is true and notary public notarize his/her oath). However, I just need notarized copy (not Apostille). Is this service available, as I can ship the original document to a legal office and they process the notarization?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I need to notarize a document issued in another state, and thus, I need to travel a long distance.

All Apostille services notarize original documents in their office (one testifies that the copy is true and notary public notarize his/her oath). However, I just need notarized copy (not Apostille). Is this service available, as I can ship the original document to a legal office and they process the notarization?
Why does the notarization need done in another state? No, it cannot be done by mail. They have to SEE you sign it and verify your identity.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When I was a notary, there was NO WAY I would notarize anything by mail or email. You showed up in front of me and presented your ID, or you didn't get notary service from me. Not risking my license so that you don't have to travel.

LdiJ

When I was a notary, there was NO WAY I would notarize anything by mail or email. You showed up in front of me and presented your ID, or you didn't get notary service from me. Not risking my license so that you don't have to travel.
I concur. However, as someone else already asked, why in the world does he think it has to be notarized in a different state from where he lives?

justalayman

I concur. However, as someone else already asked, why in the world does he think it has to be notarized in a different state from where he lives?
depends on the document. Some documents require the notarization to be by a notary in the state the document involves. State government documents often require the signatures to be witnessed by a notary within the state the document is germane to as that state specifies the requirements and qualifications of a notary acting within their boundaries while a notary from another state may not meet the same requirements so in their mind, they are not dependable.

etrader

I think there is a misunderstanding here!

I did not mean that I testify here, and notary public do notarize without seeing me.

I said that a third party in a legal office testify, and the notary public notarize his/her oath.

This is the common procedure that all legal offices making Apostille do this. However, their service is quite expensive; over than $200 for each document. The actual cost is $10 (for notary public) + $30 (for Apostille by the Secretary of State).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All a notary can attest to is the identity of the signatory. Their seal does NOT attest to the truthfulness of the testimony. Only who gave it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think there is a misunderstanding here!

I did not mean that I testify here, and notary public do notarize without seeing me.

I said that a third party in a legal office testify, and the notary public notarize his/her oath.

This is the common procedure that all legal offices making Apostille do this. However, their service is quite expensive; over than $200 for each document. The actual cost is $10 (for notary public) + $30 (for Apostille by the Secretary of State).
Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">