• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miss500

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
If I live in on the border of 2 states; am i permitted to witness signings in both states ( if I am a notary?)

justalayman

why couldn't it be yes YAG?

I mean, if OP had a notary commission it each state, is there some reason they couldn't?;) Unless of course you cannot have a commission in multiple states.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am a former notary, not in the OP's state but in one of the states that borders the OP's (we don't know which state she is referring to).

Only a MA notary can witness documents in MA, and a MA notary can only witness documents in MA. The same is true in NY.

One of the requirements of being a notary in both states is that you be a legal resident or maintain a business office in which one regularly conducts business. Most if not all states have similar requirements.

So yes, it is possible that someone could live in one state and be a notary in a diifferent one. However, I have not found any suggestion that it is possible to be a notary in more than one state. I think it would be extremely hard to qualify for multiple notary licenses unless one lived in one state and conducted most if not all of their business in a different one.

And truly, the answer to this question is something the OP really should have known, if she actually is a notary.

justalayman

NYS Division of Licensing Services Every person appointed as notary public must, at the time of his or her appointment, be a citizen or permanent resident alien of the United States and either a resident of New York or have an office or place of business in New York State.
Division of Revenue - NEW JERSEY NOTARY PUBLIC MANUAL ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE OFFICE

A Notary Public must be a resident of New Jersey or a resident of an adjoining state who maintains, or is regularly employed in, an office in this State.
A
PA requires that you either live in PA or work in PA. Haven't checked any other state.

So, without more in depth research, it does appear if a person lived in one state and worked or maintained a business in a bordering state, that person could obtain a commission from each state, yes?

You Are Guilty

How did "living on the border of 2 states" turn into "I have been commissioned in two states, live in one and maintain a bona fide business office in the other"?

Seems a bit of a stretch.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The possibility exists that, in extremely limited situations, the same person could function as a notary in two different states if they lived in one and maintained an office in the other, and they did the majority of their work in that office.

Just living on the state line is not sufficient.

The odds are very, very good that the poster has not been commissioned as a notary in both states. Can I say it's impossible? No, I can't. But I'd be willing to put money on it, and I am not a gambling woman.

You Are Guilty

The possibility exists that, in extremely limited situations, the same person could function as a notary in two different states if they lived in one and maintained an office in the other, and they did the majority of their work in that office.

Just living on the state line is not sufficient.

The odds are very, very good that the poster has not been commissioned as a notary in both states. Can I say it's impossible? No, I can't. But I'd be willing to put money on it, and I am not a gambling woman.
In an effort to preserve internet economy, the undersigned adopts the arguments set forth in the quoted post above.

(Or, we could just stick with "no") :D

justalayman

How did "living on the border of 2 states" turn into "I have been commissioned in two states, live in one and maintain a bona fide business office in the other"?

Seems a bit of a stretch.
just trying to figure out if it was even possible to be a notary in multiple states and how one could achieve that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I haven't found anything that says specifically that one can or one can't. And I've looked.

But IF it is possible, the ONLY way it could happen would be in the way described above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">