• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio found property. (claim process?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Follow Jesus

Ohio

A few years ago I was doing volunteer work for a church, helping clear out brush and garbage that church neighbors had dumped on church property. In the brush, was a couple of professional mobile stage speakers. The speakers had a school sticker on them, they looked to be in good condition, and it almost seemed as if they were cached in the brush. I suspect perhaps a local kid stole the speakers from his/her school or a rival school, and may have stashed the speakers in the woods by the church to be less likely to be caught with stolen property. Coincidentally shortly prior to finding the speakers, the church had expressed a need for speakers. I thought that the speakers might have been a blessing to meet the church needs, though I felt morally responsible that it was my civic duty to call in the find, so that police could investigate to see if the speakers were stolen. When I was in elementary school, and when I was in Boy Scouts; the social studies/government teachers and scout leaders, told us that if we found any property estimated to be over something like $20 dollars that it was our civic duty and by law we were required to report it to police, or make a public notice in a major local newspaper, in the lost and found section. I was told depending on the state that if no one declared the property and 30 to 90 days that the police are notified or the ad was published, that the finder could make a legal claim to the property. (There was an episode of Andy Griffith that had a similar theme. Where Opie found money, but couldn't claim the property without due process.)

Anyway when I called the police, they didn't want to come out and investigate. I called them first, because I wanted to minimize the risk of damaging any evidence, like fingerprints. They told me to bring the speakers in. When I brought in the speakers, I said if they are not part of a crime, and if no one claims them; I wanted to declare them myself to donate to the church. The police officer told me, that I couldn't claim the property, that if no one else claimed it and if it wasn't related to a crime, they would be sold at police auction. So I was told if I wanted the speakers that I could only have them if no one else claimed them, and I would have to go to the police auction to buy them.

Doesn't Ohio still have a process to claim property that is found any more? Did my teachers and scoutmasters lie to me? Did Ohio ever have that law? Was the police policy legal? Seems like they are discouraging good citizens that do their civic duty. I got the impression that they were ignoring the ethics and the law, to get more loot for the police auction.

Ohio analogy.
Where I used to work at, people used to frequently abandoned cars. One of my coworkers would get the Vin number and file paperwork on the abandoned car, after something like 30 or 90 days; if no one had made a claim on the car and if there were no reports of the car stolen, that the state would let him get title(s) on the car(s).

Last edited:

Follow Jesus

why don't you contact the school whose sticker is on the speakers and ask them about them?
I don't remember the specific school name. I just remember that the sticker was of a nearby school district with a blue theme color, that is often a competitor of the immediate school district. Since I suspected that the speakers might be stolen property, I thought the most appropriate action, would be to contact the police. The apathetic, uncooperative and hostile response from the Police Department; figuratively took the wind out of my sails.

justalayman

Follow Jesus;3102281]I don't remember the specific school name. I just remember that the sticker was of a nearby school district with a blue theme color, that is often a competitor of the immediate school district.
but you obviously knew what school it was, even if you did not recall the actual name. With that, it's pretty simple to get the name of the school.

Since I suspected that the speakers might be stolen property, I thought the most appropriate action, would be to contact the police. The apathetic, uncooperative and hostile response from the Police Department; figuratively took the wind out of my sails.
so, the cops took possession of the speakers, correct?

If they are not discovered to be stolen property or there is no claim made for them, then I would believe you do have a claim for them. I see no right of the police to claim them for themselves and profit from your discovery.

Since this was all years ago, there is nothing you can do about it now.

Ohio analogy.
Where I used to work at, people used to frequently abandoned cars. One of my coworkers would get the Vin number and file paperwork on the abandoned car, after something like 30 or 90 days; if no one had made a claim on the car and if there were no reports of the car stolen, that the state would let him get title(s) on the car(s).
Unless the business was licensed as a storage or repair facility for cars, that is not how Ohio deals with such an issue. If the business was a licensed for storage or repair of motor vehicles, the owner of the facility would have a superior claim over the coworker. In fact, the coworker would still not be able to legally claim title in the manner you describe as he is not the owner of the business. Your coworker would have been required to seek a title through the courts of Ohio.

OHRoadwarrior

So in order to aid in claiming the speakers, you obstructed their proof of ownership,:eek: to claim you have no knowledge of the owner. :rolleyes:

Follow Jesus

The items have an identified owner. They are not yours.
So if someone slaps an Air Force bumper sticker on your car, that makes your car Air Force property?

My analogy is to demonstrate your logic is flawed and jumping to conclusions.

The sticker had a school name, but did not seem declare the item to be school property.

I think the speakers had stickers that were probably bumper stickers. It had the school name, but I think it may have also had a school symbol and/or motto. I think it may have been bumper stickers to promote the school's team, tax levies, or something else along that lines.

It could have been school property, former school property, or it might have been private property of a rich student's family that may have had a rock band. For whatever reason the property was abandoned on church property. It could have been private property of someone that had a lot of school spirit, or may have supported school levies.

Another reason I initially contacted the police, is like I said I suspected the property might have been stolen. If I would have contacted the school first, it might have tipped off the criminals, and I wouldn't know the proper channels of who would be in the know. Besides if the property ended up not being part of a crime or not being claimed by someone else, I would have to show that a reasonable effort was made to ensure it was not stolen property and that I made a reasonable effort to find the proper owner.

Governments can be horribly wasteful. I've often seen government agencies like schools throwing away, giving away, or destroying perfectly good valuable items. So it's possible a student may have been dumpster diving, been given the speakers, or may have bought the speakers at a school auction.

justalayman

Lot's of excuses of why he didn't contact the school. None of them legitimate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Follow Jesus

So going by the trend of responses: (analogies)

1: I you were to find a canvas bag marked First National Bank, and if it had money spewing from the bag. You would think the appropriate action would be to contact the bank (not law enforcement).

2: If someone called the police and said they found a bag marked First National Bank and had money spewing out of it; your main concern and suspicion would be that the person that called the police to report the bag of money is somehow guilty of a crime.

(Instead of answering the technical legal questions, it is being used to try character assassination.

I find the ethics of this forum appalling. Senior members not even abiding by the TOS. I had hoped that this forum, would be better than the typical Internet forum.)

Good riddance.

OHRoadwarrior

So going by the trend of responses: (analogies)

1: I you were to find a canvas bag marked First National Bank, and if it had money spewing from the bag. You would think the appropriate action would be to contact the bank (not law enforcement).

2: If someone called the police and said they found a bag marked First National Bank and had money spewing out of it; your main concern and suspicion would be that the person that called the police to report the bag of money is somehow guilty of a crime.

(Instead of answering the technical legal questions, it is being used to try character assassination.

I find the ethics of this forum appalling. Senior members not even abiding by the TOS. I had hoped that this forum, would be better than the typical Internet forum.)

Good riddance.

No.

1. If I were to find a canvas bag marked First National Bank, filled with money, I would not take it out of that bag, shove it into a grocery bag, discard the original bag and claim to the police I had not way of determining or possibly tracking the owner.

2. No one called the police with a bag marked First National Bank. As in 1., they intentionally discarded the original bag and claim to have no info possibly leading to the true owner.

We know your ethics are appalling. You should tell the minister of your exploits.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In a nutshell, I would have contacted the school to let them know what I had found. If they had reported them stolen, they would let the police know they had been found and returned.

My first thought wouldn't be of the Godsend these items were...

I guess our ethics are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">