• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One-Time Childcare Services at a Relgious Conference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lipepe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

A Christian organization will hold a 5-day conference in Dec with expected attendance of 3000+ in a hotel. Childcare services by volunteers will be provided to attendees who come with small children. Two hotel rooms will be used for this purpose. Maryland law COMAR 13A governs commercial childcare centers. One of the exceptions to this law is programs that operates less than 6 weeks in a calendar year. Therefore, the one-time services are not convered by COMAR 13A. My questions are:

1. Are there other MD laws or regulations that do govern the type of services described above?
2. If yes, could you cite the laws or regulations so I could do more research?
3. Is it possible that states do not provide any laws or regulations in certain operations of religious organizations and these services would be one of them?
4. How about childcare/nursery provided by churches on Sunday morning? Do they come under any state laws or regulations?

Thanks for any advice you could give.

Pepe

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

A Christian organization will hold a 5-day conference in Dec with expected attendance of 3000+ in a hotel. Childcare services by volunteers will be provided to attendees who come with small children. Two hotel rooms will be used for this purpose. Maryland law COMAR 13A governs commercial childcare centers. One of the exceptions to this law is programs that operates less than 6 weeks in a calendar year. Therefore, the one-time services are not convered by COMAR 13A. My questions are:

1. Are there other MD laws or regulations that do govern the type of services described above?
2. If yes, could you cite the laws or regulations so I could do more research?
3. Is it possible that states do not provide any laws or regulations in certain operations of religious organizations and these services would be one of them?
4. How about childcare/nursery provided by churches on Sunday morning? Do they come under any state laws or regulations?

Thanks for any advice you could give.

Pepe
Why do you ask? If you are asking on behalf of the organization, then I would suggest you consult with the organization's paid legal counsel. If the organization doesn't have that, then they MUST get it.

lipepe

One-Time Childcare Services at a Religious Conference

Why do you ask? If you are asking on behalf of the organization, then I would suggest you consult with the organization's paid legal counsel. If the organization doesn't have that, then they MUST get it.
The organization is located in a different state from where the conference will be held. It has limited funds and does not have legal counsel. Much of its work depend on volunteers. I have volunteered to plan the logistics side of this conference. Providing nursery/childcare at the conference falls within logistics. All I am asking is whether what I have described in my original query falls under any kind of MD state laws or regulations and, if so, which laws.

I would appreciate anyone else who would be more kind and provide the information I am looking for.

Pepe

Proserpina

The organization is located in a different state from where the conference will be held. It has limited funds and does not have legal counsel. Much of its work depend on volunteers. I have volunteered to plan the logistics side of this conference. Providing nursery/childcare at the conference falls within logistics. All I am asking is whether what I have described in my original query falls under any kind of MD state laws or regulations and, if so, which laws.

I would appreciate anyone else who would be more kind and provide the information I am looking for.

Pepe

More kind?

What was unkind?

sandyclaus

Surely a religious organization with the ability to plan and fund a conference that has an estimated attendance of 3000+ participants should have the financial ability to obtain legal counsel for its activities?

If they have the staff to plan such a sizable undertaking, they must have the resources to ensure that their event is being done legally. They'd be foolish to leave the details for something as important as child care to someone who has no background or knowledge of the legal requirements for providing said services.

I'mTheFather

I hope some of your limited funds are used to provide substantial liability insurance for those volunteer caregivers. What happens if a child is hurt while in your care? And that's only one of many possible problems you may encounter.

Zigner's post was not unkind. It was practical.

lipepe

Try this link and the contact information included:

http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/MSDE/divisions/child_care/regulat

There are a host of lengthy regulations you can go through and there is a childcare office number at the bottom that can probably be called to ask the questions you need to ask.
Thanks you, CdwJava. This is the type of information I was looking for, especially the contact info.

As for the other respondents, I don't want to get into any debate with you. You are assuming that an organization that could sponsor a large conference must have sufficient financial backings. If that is your assumption, you are ignorant about religious organizations. Well, there is at least one exception anyway. I won't bother at this time to enlighten you. I was looking for information/advice, not lectures, however well-intentioned they may be.

So, thanks again, CdwJava, for pointing me to a direction I can get started.

Pepe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">