• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opting out of government backed survey? (not census)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skiminims

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Hey guys,

I received a letter stating that my household had been randomly selected to take part in a national survey conducted by a 3rd party through the Department of Health and Human Services. It says that since they are surveying only a small percentage, I cannot be replaced by a separate household. Seeing as I am also participating in a separate survey through the U.S. Dept of Commerce (and have been participating for over 4 years now) I am pretty tired of being "randomly selected" for these surveys. I'm a registered voter and I pay my taxes just like everyone else, so I don't want to be branded as UnAmerican for not wanting to take part. It's not being given the choice to opt out that irks me. Is there a way to opt out of these surveys? Will I be fined or targeted by the government if I choose to not take part? Part of me is worried I'll be audited for the rest of my life if I say no!

Thanks!

xylene

This is America.

Why are you not able to opt out?

Put it in the circular file and forget it.

Mass_Shyster

There should be a "Paperwork Reduction Act" notice on the survey indicating whether your response is required or not.

Skiminims

It states the following on the FAQ section of the study's website:

"If you are selected, no other person can take your place." and "Once selected, no other household can be substituted for any reason. This practice is to ensure the NSDUH data represent the many different types of people in the United States."

Someone will be coming by the house at some point to do the interview.

tranquility

From the website at:
https://nsduhweb.rti.org/RespWeb/project_description.html

All selected persons are encouraged to participate, whether or not they use or even know anything about tobacco products, alcohol, or illicit drugs. In order to know the percentage of people who do use these substances, we also must know how many people do not. Furthermore, participation from all selected persons is important as questions in the survey ask about a number of health-related topics relevant to all people.
Tell them you will not participate.

Skiminims

From the website at:
https://nsduhweb.rti.org/RespWeb/project_description.html

Tell them you will not participate.
Ahhh "encouraged" is the keyword there. It would be different if it said "required", yes?

I'm curious if that means I can opt out of the second survey I've been doing for the past 4 years....hmm...

LdiJ

Ahhh "encouraged" is the keyword there. It would be different if it said "required", yes?

I'm curious if that means I can opt out of the second survey I've been doing for the past 4 years....hmm...
Yes, you can opt out...you just opt out by not responding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">