• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oregon SNAP (food stamp) benefits and loans?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schlep.rock

State of Oregon.

I'm trying to figure out why loans are being used as income on a state form for Food Stamps. Either loans are income or there must be a something enabling the state to claim student loans as income.
I am fairly certain no one is required to report Visa balances and the amount borrowed for a car on their yearly tax returns. Is this a statutory thing stating that it is income for this particular purpose. If not, does it not violate GAAP? How is this possible?

Thank you for your consideration

OHRoadwarrior

You are confusing public assistance laws, Federal tax laws and business accounting procedures. They want to know how much additional money you are getting from the gov't.

last time I checked, a student LOAN is NOT grant money, but monies that must be repaid to the lender. That is confusing.
It's federally guaranteed money so there is a risk cost to the taxpayer in providing the loan. Additionally the loans typically provide funds for living expenses to full time students which may put OP above the income eligibility for food stamps.

OP, why are you in need of food stamps? With your living allowance and the school cafeteria what's going on here? Do you have children?

OHRoadwarrior

As OP seems to be doing homework...I will take you up on that bet.:)
As they used to teach children how to survive in the real world, with in class assignments, it would not surprise me if now they teach them how to apply for welfare and take out student loans they will never earn enough to pay back.

schlep.rock

OP volunteers at the VOA

I volunteer and get asked all manner of questions, mostly from battered women, many of whom suffer from drug problems. Also, the occasional soldier sufferring from PTSD/drugs/etc. has a question.

Kava is a lawful means of dealing with the anxiety of withdrawal. You don't have to see a doctor to obtain it. None of these people have insurance so they no access to doctors. As I am not their drug counselor they can ask me this stuff. They are afraid to ask the counselors.

Thank you to all the helpful responders. I find that when I can give an explanation for why something is being done it makes people feel better. I try to take them from feeling helpless about their situation to being a participant in their future. It doesn't always work, sometimes they go find someone else who will help them fill these things out less truthfully. I was hoping to find some kind of way to challenge this loan money situation, but it looks like a government guaranteed loan will qualify as income.

For BigMouthWino most of the women under about 40 years of age usually have a child or two or even more. They get better help than those who are older and have no dependent children. NONE of these women are living large off of welfare. (BigMouthWino did not say that, but some other responder implied it. I'm trying to be clear so I want insult BigMouthWino who has been helpful)
Anyway, this person has no claimable dependents and lives on her own. She has been receiving SNAP and was filling out a "change report" when she noticed the loan question. She wants to know what happens now that she is in school.
I am the person asking what mechanism makes this possible. Again, if there is a way to challenge it I would like to.

Thank you

Oh yeah,
I agree with OHRoadwarrior, God wants more than just a weekend visitation. So I do more.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

I volunteer and get asked all manner of questions from battered women, many of whom suffer from drug problems. Also, the occasional soldier sufferring from PTSD. Kava is a lawful means of dealing with the anxiety of withdrawal. You don't have to see a doctor to obtain it. None of these people have insurance so they no access to doctors.

Your signature says that God wants more than a weekend visitation. Does he also want you to help the poor?

What I want to know is how can borrowed money be considered income. There is a mechanism allowing them to do this. What is that mechanism?

Thank you.
legislation.

grday

Apply for a pell grant first, even though you may have to take one class at a time and take longer to graduate. The reason for this, SSA could consider going to college substantial gainful work it could drop your benefits. In most states pell grants, student loan or any loan is not counted as income for food stamps, medicaid, or SSI. It says that info on the letter I get from both SS & Welfare.

Proserpina

Apply for a pell grant first, even though you may have to take one class at a time and take longer to graduate. The reason for this, SSA could consider going to college substantial gainful work it could drop your benefits. In most states pell grants, student loan or any loan is not counted as income for food stamps, medicaid, or SSI. It says that info on the letter I get from both SS & Welfare.

Please don't revive months-old posts.

Thanks!

grday

Sorry, I didn't notice the date. I may have done it on another thread as well. I got to pay attention to the dates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">