• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other than Honerable discharge secret clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjohnson101

What is the name of your state? Maryland
In 1993 I recieved an other than honerable discharge from the United States Navy. It was conduct related not drug or alcohol. The offical reason on my DD-214 says "discharge in lieu of trial by court martial". 12 years later I am applying for my secret clearance and have been granted an interm secret while I wait. I was honest on my SF-86 and when asked I put down an Other than honerable discharge.
My question is will this prevent me from getting a secret and ultimatley a top secret clearance? I have not had any issues with the law sice I have been out of the Military.

JETX

mjohnson101 said:
My question is will this prevent me from getting a secret and ultimatley a top secret clearance?
No one can answer you factually as we don't know the circumstances of the discharge or the clearances you are looking for.
HOWEVER, the answer is probably... you will not get them. Most agency's with clearance requirements are inherently conservative and are more likely to reject your request... then to approve it.

mjohnson101

Interm secret

I dont have many more details on my discharge. Got into some trouble with some friends off base. No law enforcement was involved everything was reported back to command and our next orders after school were held up for almost a year while we awaited this "trial".
If I was granted an interm secret I assumed a secret was possible. The more I hear however the interm secret means nothing at all really. All I know about the clearances is that the initial is secret and the next is not Top Secret but another level that enables us to view secret information across a network.
I am a network engineer and currently working with an interm secret. So I guess it is safe to assume they will turn down my clearance request and I will lose my job. I appreciate your reply.

HomeGuru

mjohnson101 said:
I dont have many more details on my discharge. Got into some trouble with some friends off base.

**A: you continue to be evasive with your overly broad, general and generic response. Continue and you will get no response.

mjohnson101

Re: Interm secret

HomeGuru said:
mjohnson101 said:
I dont have many more details on my discharge. Got into some trouble with some friends off base.

**A: you continue to be evasive with your overly broad, general and generic response. Continue and you will get no response.
I dont know what to say. We were not drunk we were at a party with alot of Navy people. The party was with both enlisted male and female as well as a few officers both male and female. There was to be an investigation and to the best of my knowledge it was never completed. I had a young family at home and decided a year of limbo was enough for me. I went to the JAG officer and asked what my options were and he got the offer of being discharged. I took it. No formal charges were ever brought. I assume it would be a fraternization issue however I was never charged with it. We were simply left in limbo awaiting this investigation and ultimately a trial. No captains mast or anything.

mjohnson101

FYI there ARE lawyers who handle thi

I actually found a lawyer who specializes in this kind of thing. The ultimate answer is not definative however he said the fact I got my imterim secret is a good sign. They may not even consider much of my military record because it was 12 years ago. Still hope I guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">