• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking violation for a car I didn't own.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Austin6

California

Hi
My name is Austin
I received a ticket for a car I didn’t own. I sold my car on Dec. 9th and sent in the release of liability form. The release was filed on the 19th of Dec 2013. The people whom bought the car parked somewhere and got a ticket on the car Dec 23rd 2013.

I moved to Portland on Dec. 15th 2013. The Parking Bureau finally got a ticket to my address in Portland in May 2014 and it was $195. I sent the parking bureau a letter back, stating I didn’t own the car at the time of the ticketing, and then they sent me a paper saying I had to send them proof of release of liability.

I sent off to get the release of liability but it took letter courier time, and a couple weeks for the DMV to get me the proof I needed. However the Parking Bureau only gave me 15 days to contest this with the information that took longer than that to get. After sending them proof I didn't own the car, they now say I just have to pay the $195 per state law (CVC 40215)

Do you have any thoughts as to what I can do to fight this?
This is a terrible shady business practice and completely unacceptable way of acting on their part. I don't appreciate extortion in this manner.

Thank you

"An owner who has made a bona fide sale or transfer of a vehicle and has delivered possession of the vehicle to a purchaser is NOT, by reason of any of the provisions of this code, THE OWNER of the vehicle so as to be subject to CIVIL LIABILITY or CRIMINAL LIABILITY for the PARKING, abandoning, or operation of the vehicle thereafter by another when the selling or transferring owner, IN ADDITION to that DELIVERY and that BONA FIDE SALE or TRANSFER, has fulfilled EITHER of the following requirements: (a) He or she has made PROPER ENDORSEMENT and DELIVERY of the CERTIFICATE of OWNERSHIP as provided in this code. (b) He or she has delivered to the department or has placed in the United States mail, addressed to the department, either of the following documents: (1) The notice as provided in subdivision (b) of Section 4456 or Section 5900 or 5901. (2) The appropriate documents and fees for registration of the vehicle to the new owner pursuant to the sale or transfer. (Emphasis in CAPITALS.)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It would have helped if you had posted this in the correct area. Traffic law/parking violations comes to mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">