• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police put wrong info in report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sherbear3

I live in Ohio. A few weeks ago I was burglarized. I called the police. They came to take a report. They put my witness as residing with me. They made a mistake. My friend does not live here. Now my landlord is using that report to try to evict me based on unauthorized tenants. I called the officer. I explained the situation. He blew up and started yelling at me and said nothing was wrong with his report and hung up on me. What do I do now?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Ohio. A few weeks ago I was burglarized. I called the police. They came to take a report. They put my witness as residing with me. They made a mistake. My friend does not live here. Now my landlord is using that report to try to evict me based on unauthorized tenants. I called the officer. I explained the situation. He blew up and started yelling at me and said nothing was wrong with his report and hung up on me. What do I do now?
Tell your LL the report is wrong.

sherbear3

I did. She still put a 30 day notice on my door this morning. I'm participating in a housing program called Permanent Supportive Housing. Its for people with mental disabilities. She said I've violated the contract. Then she said my neighbors complained about my children being loud and bothering their peace. But nobody ever told me there was an issue until the landlord said she was evicting us for it.

Zigner

I did. She still put a 30 day notice on my door this morning. I'm participating in a housing program called Permanent Supportive Housing. Its for people with mental disabilities. She said I've violated the contract. Then she said my neighbors complained about my children being loud and bothering their peace. But nobody ever told me there was an issue until the landlord said she was evicting us for it.
A 30 day notice is not an "eviction". She is simply terminating your residency.

Do you have a lease or are you month-to-month?

sherbear3

A 30 day notice is not an "eviction". She is simply terminating your residency.

Do you have a lease or are you month-to-month?
I have a lease. She said she's giving me 30 days to vacate and then I can keep my security deposit. But if I'm not out in the 30 days she's filing in court.

Zigner

I have a lease. She said she's giving me 30 days to vacate and then I can keep my security deposit. But if I'm not out in the 30 days she's filing in court.
If the police report was truly simply an error and you are breaking no rules, then she should lose in court. Even then, she can't just give you 30 days notice if you are breaking rules - she has to give you the opportunity to "cure" (fix) the problem.

CdwJava

The officer cannot control what people tell them. If your witness said they resided with you, then that's what the officer put down.

Does this witness have another residence? Or, had they been couch surfing at your place?

sherbear3

So, your friend was a witness somehow to your apartment being burglarized? Just how did THAT happen?
My witness was a witness to the fact that when we "him, his brother, myself and my 3 children" went to sleep everything was where it should be and that when we woke up his little brother, both my sons ps2's, all the stuff to both ps2's, my medication, and $8 were gone.

sherbear3

The officer cannot control what people tell them. If your witness said they resided with you, then that's what the officer put down.

Does this witness have another residence? Or, had they been couch surfing at your place?
My witness was never asked his address. I was standing right there when the officer asked his information. The only thing the cop asked was his name, date of birth, social security number, and phone number...that's it! And prior to my friends 7 day visit I hadn't seen him in almost 4 years. I've known him for over 10 years, since he was 9. He bounces back and forth from his dad's in WV and his mom's here in Ohio. While he is in Ohio on this trip he's visiting everyone. That wa s just the week he was visiting me. He has no residence of his own, he's not on any lease. He just jumps back and forth from mom, dad and friends! They are now trying to say he's my bf living here. But he's 13 years younger than me and gay!

CdwJava

Well, you explain it to the landlord and maybe have your friend explain it, too. If they try to actually evict you (as opposed to simply not renewing a lease) then you should have the opportunity to have a hearing on the matter if you wish. You can then bring your friend into court and maybe even subpoena the officer (though that may cost you) and tell the court that the information that the landlord is basing their decision on is erroneous. Of course, you will likely find your lease NOT renewed later when it is up, but, you might be able to prevail and avoid at least an eviction from your record.

You may want to research the eviction process in Ohio.

sherbear3

Well, you explain it to the landlord and maybe have your friend explain it, too. If they try to actually evict you (as opposed to simply not renewing a lease) then you should have the opportunity to have a hearing on the matter if you wish. You can then bring your friend into court and maybe even subpoena the officer (though that may cost you) and tell the court that the information that the landlord is basing their decision on is erroneous. Of course, you will likely find your lease NOT renewed later when it is up, but, you might be able to prevail and avoid at least an eviction from your record.

You may want to research the eviction process in Ohio.

I've already tried to explain it to my landlord. She doesn't care and has now added a noise complaint onto the 30 day notice. But has never said anything about any complaints until the 30 day notice said it. I'm in a housing program called Permanent Supportive Housing, its for people with disabilities. I've been in the program 9 months. My landlord is Family &Community Services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">