• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it possible to appeal this request for unemployment denial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SpockMN651

St. Paul, Minnesota. I quit my job 4 months ago due to unsafe conditions. a few days later i submitted a request for unemployment benefits and submitted a complaint to OSHA. I did not receive anything back from OSHA within the time allotted by the Minnesota Unemployment agency so i was denied benefits because "I did not complain to the employer about alleged unsafe working conditions and i did not have a good reason caused by the employer for quitting". a few weeks ago i received an a citation letter from OSHA where they found 7 serious safety violations which were found in a inspection on July 7, 2012 (a week few weeks after i filed a complaint) but, i did not receive this notice of citation until 9-17-2012. i then asked for benefits again with this evidence and was denied again because i did not request benefits by 8-24-12 which indeed i did. how can i go about appealing this if it is possible?

Antigone*

St. Paul, Minnesota. I quit my job 4 months ago due to unsafe conditions. a few days later i submitted a request for unemployment benefits and submitted a complaint to OSHA. I did not receive anything back from OSHA within the time allotted by the Minnesota Unemployment agency so i was denied benefits because "I did not complain to the employer about alleged unsafe working conditions and i did not have a good reason caused by the employer for quitting". a few weeks ago i received an a citation letter from OSHA where they found 7 serious safety violations which were found in a inspection on July 7, 2012 (a week few weeks after i filed a complaint) but, i did not receive this notice of citation until 9-17-2012. i then asked for benefits again with this evidence and was denied again because i did not request benefits by 8-24-12 which indeed i did. how can i go about appealing this if it is possible?
You can always appeal, but it appears that you did not attempt to work our the issues directly with the employers prior to quitting. If you did, you will need that information as proof.

ecmst12

Sounds like you missed the deadline to appeal, and also you did not give your employer the opportunity to correct the problem before you up and quit. An OSHA violation is not sufficient reason to quit with no notice before you even filed the complaint, unless your life was truly in danger (which I'm guessing it was not).

SpockMN651

i did bring up safety concerns to the employer numerous times such as purchasing better face masks to protect the employees from heavy amounts of dust (i worked in a glass recycling plant). i also brought up the fact that the person in charge of safety did not have any experience in managing safety at all and that live ammunition would come down the line frequently. im not sure how i would obtain proof of this since none of this would ever documented by the employer or safety manager
the specific osha violations can be found here: http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.inspection_detail?id=316588847

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">