• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential wire fraud by AZ Department of Revenue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonF

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Hi, during the last year we made pre-tax payments for our 2014 income tax using the related government webpage. For all of the payments we got a confirmation e-mail with a unique confirmation number, the payments show up as direct debit with our correct tax payer number in our account statements. We now e-filed our return only to find out that they can't find one of the payments. Interesting enough they apparently have no way to use the confirmation number they sent us with the payment confirmation to track the payment within their department and asked us to provide additional evidence from our financial institution, which we have just done. Without us sending in the related documentation they were not willing to initiate an investigation at their end.

In addition when e-filing our 2014 income tax return the Department of Revenue initiated the direct debit not once but two times, documentation from our side was only submitted once.

Calling the office on the phone is relatively useless as the folks are friendly but can't really help, the terms 'I think' and 'I assume' are statements that are primarily used. We have written complaints in for both incidents however based on the above experience we also thinking of taking them to court for wire fraud. Any advise? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Hi, during the last year we made pre-tax payments for our 2014 income tax using the related government webpage. For all of the payments we got a confirmation e-mail with a unique confirmation number, the payments show up as direct debit with our correct tax payer number in our account statements. We now e-filed our return only to find out that they can't find one of the payments. Interesting enough they apparently have no way to use the confirmation number they sent us with the payment confirmation to track the payment within their department and asked us to provide additional evidence from our financial institution, which we have just done. Without us sending in the related documentation they were not willing to initiate an investigation at their end.

In addition when e-filing our 2014 income tax return the Department of Revenue initiated the direct debit not once but two times, documentation from our side was only submitted once.

Calling the office on the phone is relatively useless as the folks are friendly but can't really help, the terms 'I think' and 'I assume' are statements that are primarily used. We have written complaints in for both incidents however based on the above experience we also thinking of taking them to court for wire fraud. Any advise? Thanks.
You have no case to bring against them. It sounds like they are fixing things, so be happy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As a former colleague of mine used to say (and probably still does), never put down to malice what could be explained as simple incompetence.

It doesn't sound as if there is any intent to defraud you. It sounds like a simple clerical error. Particularly since it appears that they are working on fixing the error, even if they aren't doing it the way you want them to or fast enough to suit you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">