• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vando

I apply for "Action For Children" in Illinois, that organization helps me pay for my children's day care. I send them a letter from my employer proving that I work there and two pay stubs. Now they ask me to submit a copy of my employers telephone bill and it must include my employers name, address and phone number. My question is, can I ask my employer about his information and is he obligated to give them to me. One more question is that a legal thing for them to ask me for this kind of information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law that prohibits you from asking. But your employer is NOT obligated to agree.

justalayman

that seems to be a very odd request. I can see no reason for it and if I was the employer, you surely would not be provided the information. Did they give you any reason for the request?

Vando

Thank you for the answer.
I think I addressed the question in an improper way. What I was trying to ask was that is it legal for the " Action for Children " to require from me the information of my employers telephone bill. If the employer refuses to surrender the information my application will be denied. What kind of informations the employer is required to give as proof of employment?

Vando

I did send the verification of employment form. The informations included in that form were how long I worked there, my salary , name and address of the company, telephone number and the name of employer . The form was signed by employer.
I received that form from the "Action for Children" office. Do these forms require to be notarial certified?

LillianX

You'd have to ask the organization. Are you a native English speaker? Do you need translation assistance?

LdiJ

You'd have to ask the organization. Are you a native English speaker? Do you need translation assistance?
I am wondering if what they really asked for was a piece of company letterhead? That would make more sense.

You Are Guilty

I suspect a translation issue as well. But, if they are actually asking for a phone bill, perhaps they think the employer is not located inside the required county/state for OP to be eligible for aid?

commentator

Yes, I think we have some sort of definite failure to communicate. Location of the employer's place of business might be an issue which can certainly be verified with a number of types of information. Or they definitely might require a valid number where the employer could be reached for verification, and for the employee to be contacted during work while the children were at the child care center.

But if I were an employer and an employee came and asked me to give them a copy of my company's telephone bills, I think I'd try to call the agency that was requesting it and ask them directly what the heck this means.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And maybe it isn't. And maybe they're not.

But if you think they are, "Captain", please do feel free to provide your legal support for the position. You'll pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting for you to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">