• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

proper permit to work on my cars at home? OREGON

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

interceptor999

OREGON. I live in Estacada Oregon and the city tagged pretty much everything we own stating that "Maintaining inoperable Vehicles on private property Prohibited" They said I must remove ALL my vehicles and parts from the property or they will TAKE them.
I got red notices taped with DUCT TAPE to everything I own they destroyed my new paint I did on my rolling chassis I was preparing for my car:mad:
I'm just tired of the harassment and threats from the city, is there ANYTHING I can do other then give in and get rid of everything I own or move out?

I was looking for some sort of license or permit that I could get to allow me to continue my family hobby if at all possible?
in their own words this is what i do,
"A person who collects, purchases, acquires, trades or disposes of vehicles and vehicle parts for the person’s own use in order to preserve, restore and maintain vehicles for the person’s own use or for hobby or historical purposes.":)

my family has been hot rodders since back when Henry ford introduced the model T and participate in the automotive lifestyle it is a HUGE part of our life's and I'm trying to pass it onto my little boy I'd rather have him home with me wrenching on classic cars then out causing trouble.
I'm at my wits end and I'm not about to give up what we love doing so much, any help is needed and appreciated.

btw I make sure I keep any oils and anything bad out of the environment I collect and send to recycle anything like that.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Your neighbors have a right to not see all the disassembled autos on your property. If you want to continue the family tradition, put the treasures into a garage. This will also be proof you are serious, since the parted vehicles won't be exposed to weathering.

interceptor999

So in other words...Move...This house was built in 1945 with nothing more then a large carport, we chose this place since rent is cheap...Now we know why after dealing with living downtown for a number of years, Time to own our own home! Thank GOD we don't own this one!!!!!!
I found a decent piece of property where even Googles satellite view cant reach it on a very long driveway away from prying eyes, Trick is to figure a way to buy it on our meager income while paying off a student loan, place is cheap and we can afford it easily, including the bills and taxes.:D doesn't hurt to call em up and ask if they can work with us, we have wanted out of here for a long time for a number of reasons.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So in other words...Move...This house was built in 1945 with nothing more then a large carport, we chose this place since rent is cheap...Now we know why after dealing with living downtown for a number of years, Time to own our own home! Thank GOD we don't own this one!!!!!!
I found a decent piece of property where even Googles satellite view cant reach it on a very long driveway away from prying eyes, Trick is to figure a way to buy it on our meager income while paying off a student loan, place is cheap and we can afford it easily, including the bills and taxes.:D doesn't hurt to call em up and ask if they can work with us, we have wanted out of here for a long time for a number of reasons.
Or, you could rent a garage :rolleyes:

interceptor999

Estacada Oregon Code 8.08.090
Maintaining inoperable vehicles on private property

"Remove ALL inoperable vehicles and parts from property by April 30 2012"

Basically a code that is a direct hit to the hot rodding community, They want to see the end result but not the work and time put into it, this city holds two large car shows a year...Whatever I'll have to just move from this backward place.

Zigner

Estacada Oregon Code 8.08.090
Maintaining inoperable vehicles on private property

"Remove ALL inoperable vehicles and parts from property by April 30 2012"

Basically a code that is a direct hit to the hot rodding community, They want to see the end result but not the work and time put into it, this city holds two large car shows a year...Whatever I'll have to just move from this backward place.
Backward place? Really? Because they don't want junkers in the yard, it's backward? Uh-huh :rolleyes:

Zigner

To be clear:

8.08.090 Maintaining inoperable vehicles on private property prohibited.
It is unlawful for any person to maintain any inoperable vehicle on private property for a period of time in
excess of thirty (30) days. For purposes of this section, an inoperable vehicle is defined as any vehicle which
does not display a current state vehicle license and/or tags or which cannot be moved without being either
repaired or dismantled or which is no longer safely usable for the purposes for which it was manufactured.
This definition shall not include any vehicle kept in a building when not in use, or any vehicles kept on the
premises of a business lawfully engaged in wrecking, junking or repair of vehicles. Any owner of an
inoperable vehicle or any person maintaining such a vehicle on a premises under his or her control for a
period of time in excess of thirty (30) days shall be liable to abatement proceedings by the city as maintaining
a public nuisance. Repeated violation of this section is also declared to be a public nuisance. For purposes of
this section, "repeated violation" means that an individual or corporate entity has been convicted of violating
this section two or more times within a five year period. It is no defense to the "repeated violation" allegation
that different vehicles or properties were involved. A violation of this section is a civil violation and a public
nuisance.

Maybe you should rent a garage?

interceptor999

Would an attached carport count as a building our does it need four sides and a door?
And thank you guys for the help and understanding:)
Here is a copy of the code he quoted.
"Chapter 8.08
NUISANCES
Sections:
8.08.010 Nuisances affecting public health.
8.08.020 Abandoned iceboxes.
8.08.030 Attractive nuisances.
8.08.040 Snow and ice removal.
8.08.050 Weeds and noxious growth.
8.08.060 Fences.
8.08.070 Surface water and drainage.
8.08.090 Maintaining inoperable vehicles on private property prohibited.
8.08.100 Radio and television interference.
8.08.110 Notices and advertisements.
8.08.120 Declaration of nuisance– General nuisance."

Zigner

Would an attached carport count as a building our does it need four sides and a door?
And thank you guys for the help and understanding:)
You don't keep a car "in" a carport, you keep it "under" a carport.

Here is a copy of the code he quoted.
Actually, what I posted is the full text of code section 8.08.090 - what you are showing is just a table of contents for the section.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">