• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding WA State Health Care Authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clashcity19

Washington State

Just a quick question. I was receiving health insurance through the Washington State Healthcare Authority. This program is called Washington Health Program and is designed to give low-cost insurance to people who do not qualify for Medicaid or cannot afford insurance/are not offered insurance through their employer. My premium for January 2012 went up $20 for the year and I was unable to pay my premium. So I wrote and mailed a check for February for the amount owed. The check was cashed January 30, so I assumed everything was in line to restore my coverage for February. Their policy is that if you miss 2 months in a row, they make you wait 1 year to reapply. Much to my surprise, I got a letter in the mail stating that my check arrived late and my coverage would be suspended for 1 year. I have the right to appeal, but I am not sure why they went ahead and cashed my check knowing my coverage was going to be suspended. Also, how can I appeal if I am insisting I mailed my payment well before the due date and they are saying otherwise? They told me I need to provide "proof" for why my payment was late, but how can I if no such proof exists? Any help would be appreciated. I am in dire straights and really need advice. thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

It is likely that the checks are cashed on receipt and the payments are applied by a separate process. Do you have the cancelled check from your bank so you know what day it was cashed? When was it due and what day did you mail it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">