• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reading an employers mail...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheJoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

So I work for a small business (actually an independent contractor) and I am the only one there on Mondays. I always get the mail on Mondays when the postman comes and lay it on the owners desk. Well this particular Monday I could see through the envelope "FINAL DISCONNECTION NOTICE" from a local utility company. I never opened the letter, I could only see through it. Well I am dependent on this owner for utilities so that I can do my job, so I confront him about it. He doesn't seem to get too angry, he just says that is the way he does things and if I don't like it then I can leave. So I let it go, well I get to work the next day and he says he thought about it all night, and he tells me to get my stuff and not come back. He then proceeds to tell me that he talked to his lawyer and I have just broke the law and that I am lucky he does not press charges. I feel like I am better off, so I just leave and don't worry about it.

Fast forward 4 months later (TODAY).... I run into an old co worker who was on vacation during this whole disaster... He tells me when he asked the owner what happened to me, the owner tells him that I stole his credit card and attempted to make supply purchases and that the store notified him about me using his credit card (WHICH NEVER HAPPENED!!!) and that I opened his mail and read it!!! I can't believe this guy! Did I break any laws in the first place, and what can I do about this guy telling the people I used to work with? I work in a field where reputation is huge, and a lot of my business comes from word of mouth. Thanks for your help!

ecmst12

You did not break any laws.

You don't have any real evidence that he has been saying these things, only a 3rd party report, and you don't have any damages that you can prove even if he IS saying them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">