• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Report misappropriation of public funds in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

illusionsys

The local county, Hillborough County Florida, appropriates part of the property tax for the upkeep of the neighborhood. The non-elected president of the community is in charge of the upkeep and maintenance of the common areas, specifically a large park and open area. The landscaping service used for upkeeping this area also mows, trims, and grooms the 'presidents' lawn. It is suspected that this is done with the public funds from property taxes.

This is not an Home Owners Association. I have lived here three years and have never received any community information, law book, or bylaws, nor has there ever been a meeting of the community, nor an election for the stewardship of the community. I am aware of this presidency by the gentleman himself, and his introduction to me when I moved in, as well he is listed on the the property appraiser office website as the recipient and contact for this assessment, as available by public record.

There is photographic evidence of the service. At this point I need to know who and how I would report this misappropriation for investigation. I have attempted to find the information from the local government websites, but to no avail. Any information as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Antigone*

The local county, Hillborough County Florida, appropriates part of the property tax for the upkeep of the neighborhood. The non-elected president of the community is in charge of the upkeep and maintenance of the common areas, specifically a large park and open area. The landscaping service used for upkeeping this area also mows, trims, and grooms the 'presidents' lawn. It is suspected that this is done with the public funds from property taxes.

This is not an Home Owners Association. I have lived here three years and have never received any community information, law book, or bylaws, nor has there ever been a meeting of the community, nor an election for the stewardship of the community. I am aware of this presidency by the gentleman himself, and his introduction to me when I moved in, as well he is listed on the the property appraiser office website as the recipient and contact for this assessment, as available by public record.

There is photographic evidence of the service. At this point I need to know who and how I would report this misappropriation for investigation. I have attempted to find the information from the local government websites, but to no avail. Any information as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
How do you know that he doesn't pay for the lawn service himself?

illusionsys

No I would not know this personally, that is why it would have to be investigated. Receipts of the service are not available to the public as the assessment information. Does it not come more to the point that should they be part of the same service contract, that it would be a misappropriation. The upkeep of personal property on public funds by a delegate is against the law, no matter the state. I have found many points of case law supporting this, however, I am not the one to investigate, as I have no authority, so at that still leads back to the original question.

Antigone*

No I would not know this personally, that is why it would have to be investigated. Receipts of the service are not available to the public as the assessment information. Does it not come more to the point that should they be part of the same service contract, that it would be a misappropriation. The upkeep of personal property on public funds by a delegate is against the law, no matter the state. I have found many points of case law supporting this, however, I am not the one to investigate, as I have no authority, so at that still leads back to the original question.
You have evidence of a guy getting his lawn mowed, that is sit. Write a letter to the county and let them run with it. Please be mindful that they do not need to respond directly back to you or give you any inforamation of any investigation they might decide to undertake.

CSO286

So, because this guy is in a "position of power" :rolleyes:and uses the same maintainance service provider as the one contracted to provide upkeep to the park, you're convinced he's misappropriating property tax funds meant to fund the upkeep for the common areas....

I think you're reaching.

illusionsys

I think it would more to the point that an unelected delegate, who has access to public funds, could be using those funds for the betterment of his property. In addition there are other aspects of the community that go without maintenance, as well there is no option for the providers of those taxes, myself and the other 100+ home owners, service under those public funds as well. In a time when 1 in 5 properties go unoccupied and could USE the service, it would seem a better option for our community, and it's property values to have services that are not going to those in a "position of power". As well, the community did not elect this delegate, nor have they been given the option to do so, and as such would be unable to have a say in how their money is spent. Should it be found that this individual is using those funds inappropriately it would be no less criminal then those that would spend such monies on hookers and alcohol.

But, by your OPINION on the issue, that should be okay. And I, and any others in my community that agree, would be foolish to think that using our tax money for such things is just fine and we should sit down and shut up. Interesting.... I find it odd that on a site promoting legal advice, that the law would be held in such disregard.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Interesting.... I find it odd that on a site promoting legal advice, that the law would be held in such disregard.
This may not have anything to do with the law. It certainly may be a conflict of interest or some type of ethics violation IF your locality even has such rules.

Why don't you try speaking to one of your local elected representatives about your concerns?

LdiJ

The more I read this thread the more I wonder about something that isn't being addressed here at all.

How does someone, purporting to be the "president" of a local community get away with being the receiver and responsible party for receiving county tax dollars to maintain the neighborhood, if there is no actual organization, with elections? That is potentially the bigger issue in my opinion, and the issue that I would be focusing on if I were a member of that community.

As far as the contracting landscaper is concerned, they might even be doing the president's property for free, as a thank you for the contract. It still would be wrong, but it might not be costing the taxpayers any extra...and might even be a moot point if the "president" gets ousted.

illusionsys

As far as the 'president' of the association goes, I have to agree with "how" does this person get access to public funds. He is not elected, and we have never had a say in the matter, very disconcerting since we have no choice but to pay our property taxes.

The odd thing to me, which is something I have never seen before, is this community operates much like a deed restricted community in Florida. There are no actual deed restrictions, and no association, you can do with your property as you please. However, the assessment comes as a mutual benefit to the neighborhood. As well when you search the Property Appraiser's website for public records, the assessment, which is an add-on to every property here, is listed with our community information, then lists the 'president' as the administrator, and has his contact information. So obviously this tax is assessed on behalf of the community, but is governed by someone that we have no say in whom or how.

I certainly will contact my local county officials on this, at least for information. True it is nothing less than unethical, and at worst could be criminal. It's not the point of changing the tax, as it is the need to make sure the community money is used for the community. Florida is one of the worst places for foreclosures, and with 100+ units, 1 in 5 are unoccupied, no doubt bringing down our property values in the process. If we have officials using money for themselves, when there are so many other projects we could be doing, it just isn't right. Geez, really, use some of the money to buy a community mower and I will do it myself, and the properties that don't have someone else to do it. I appreciate the thoughts, and the thought provoking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">