• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Cameras around home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickbn

What is the name of your state? California

Hello, I plan to install security cameras outside of my home to monitor:

to see if anyone is breaking into the cars in the driveway
see anyone who approaches my front door/porch or steps into my property
around the house (e.g. public sidewalk, streets alongside house)
the backyard

This camera system does not record audio, but it will record the video into a hard drive. The areas I am mentioning are literally in public and other people will be able to see you wherever the camera is pointing. Is this setup illegal or violating anyone's privacy? Are there any other concerns or issues i need to be aware of? The original intent is to monitor criminal activity, but i'd like to see what goes on around my house as well.

Last edited:

justalayman

there is no expectation of privacy when in a place viewable from a point other than those contolled by the subject.

In other words, there is nothing wrong with videotaping the crooks as you propose.

You can actually video tape your neighbor as long as you do not tresspass to do so. (I would be careful about into the home. It could get you into a "peeping tom" situation, which is illegal in many states)

I have security camera's around my home. It's for my protection. I want to know who's at
my door before I even go to it especially since the criminals have come up with a new way
of getting into your home, "home envasion". I believe that as long as your camera is videoing a public area, you should have no problem. One cannot expect priviacy when they are driving, walking, etc in a public area.

This is why business cannot have cameras, videos etc in te restroom areas of there company. A person would expect to have priviacy while using the restroom, right?

So it's the same thing.

Also, If anyone wants to do any criminal activity around my house and they see the cameras and they get caught then they were pretty stupid to continue and do the criminal
activity, i believe. They deserve what they get....

needhelpohio

ive had them before and getting ready to install

i had cameras before and geting ready to do it again. Just a word of advise if you put them up dont do what i did the first time and put up cheap cameras if they are going to be used as evidence get the real good ones. the ones im looking at now have night vision where it looks like your day light 24 hours. if you buy junk and have a break in and police clearly cant get a view of suspect its useless:D

epochz

How about indoors.

Just to complete the circle here. I have just found out through 1 of the roommates I have that our Landlord (that also lives in the house) has videotaped conversations of me and the other roommates. I am in CALIFORNIA and would like some advise since the Landlord keeps hidden cameras inside the house in "common areas" now that I have been told. I never gave express or implied permission for me to be videotaped at any time and I believe my privacy has been violated on several occasions. Please help :mad:

CdwJava

Video is one thing ... is there also audio? It's hard to video a conversation unless one can read lips really well.

Do you KNOW there are secret cameras hidden around the home? Or is this just rumor? What does your landlord say?

If you believe there are videos, and you don't like living under those conditions, then you can always move. Your other alternative is to call the police and see if there is a crime here, but, that could be iffy since they are in common areas of the home and presumably (arguably) an area where you have no expectation of privacy anyway.

Depending on the arrangements in the home, this may well be perfectly lawful.

- Carl

epochz

Yes, now I know that there is audio too. My landlord just told us that he has conversations recorded and quoted us. I am not comfortable with this, we are moving at the end of the month anyway, but the landlord is playing games telling people that other are talking **** about them and has it on camera.

CdwJava

As I said, you can certainly call the police. However, if there is no evidence of a surveillance system and insufficient grounds for a search warrant, there is no case. They would have to prove that the recording actually occurred AND that the recording was made in violation of state law. I'm going to guess that the police are not going to get too excited about this. But, you never know. The circumstances might be more heinous than they appear from here.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">